Steve is champion Supremo

THE INAUGURAL Strachan’s Supremos event took place in The Portcullis on Sunday when Steve Reid took the title of Strachan’s Supremos Champion, defeating Paddy Nicoll by five frames to three in the final.

In group one, pre-tournament favourite Paddy Nicoll got off to the worst start possible when he lost his first group game to Drew Webster, 3-1. Spurred on from that loss, Paddy recovered to win his last two group games.

However, as Drew also won a second match and both players tied for frames differential, Drew claimed top spot based on the result of their head-to-head. At one point Scott was 2-0 up on Paddy and only needed a win to go through but he succumbed 3-2 to a great fight-back and lost 3-2.

Group two was a nippy affair with three players tied on four points. Walter Preston took top spot on the frame differential ruling, with Jeff Barthorpe taking the runner-up spot.

Group three saw Barrie Watt maintain a 100 per cent record and top the group. Steve Reid was runner-up with two wins after losing 3-0 to Barrie in the decider to see who would qualify in first place.

In group four, Scott Strachan also posted a 100 per cent record and for the second time there was a decider in the last game. Scott won against tournament second favourite Gordon Dickson, 3-2, to top the group and deny Gordon.

In the first quarter final, Drew Webster took on Steve Reid. Both had played well in the group stages. Unfortunately for Drew he just couldn’t get going and found himself on the wrong end of a 4-1 scoreline with Steve being the first into the semi-finals.

The second quarter final was between tournament director Scott Strachan, and two times ADPL Grassroots Champion Jeff Barthorpe. Jeff, having scraped through his group on frame difference found himself 3-2 down and up against it. Scott played some good pool but couldn’t convert his chances and Jeff showed some great spirit and clawed back to 3-3, then took the decider to claim another scalp.

The third quarter final was contested by Barrie Watt and Paddy Nicoll. Both played well throughout but Paddy ran out 4-1 winner.

The last quarter final saw Walter Preston take on Gordon Dickson. Walter also played well throughout the match but couldn’t get himself on the scoreboard and the match was quickly over at 4-0.

The first semi-final was between Steve Reid and Jeff Barthorpe. Jeff raced into a 2-0 lead and looked like he had picked up form. A tactical battle in the third frame saw Steve get the match back to 2-1. This spurred Steve on and he went on to win 4-2 and claim a measure of revenge.

The second semi was between Paddy Nicoll and Gordon Dickson. Paddy drew first blood, and then Gordon levelled at 1-1. The match then went to 2-2 with both players gearing themselves up for it.

Paddy then took the bull by the horns and executed a fine eight-ball finish to take him one frame away from the final. Gordon had a chance to make it 3-3 but agonisingly broke down and left Paddy on a pot. Paddy made no mistake and closed the match out at 4-2.

Both Jeff and Gordon both took home £30 each for their day’s efforts.

The final was a classic Burns v Ram’s scenario. Paddy quickly took a 2-0 lead, albeit with some luck but looked to be cruising. It was Steve’s turn to be fortunate and he landed a snooker after missing a pot. He used the luck to his advantage and went on to clinch the frame and then level at 2-2 by winning the next as well. The match then went to 3-3, and with both players playing well it looked like it may go all the way to a deciding frame.

Steve then took the initiative and edged 4-3 in the lead. In the next frame Paddy showed resolve and a long tactical frame ensued. Paddy dug deep and got down to the black first and, with a fine cut he potted the black only for the white ball to continue and agonizingly drop into the opposite corner pocket and hand Steve victory by 5-3.

Steve took home the top prize of £180 while Paddy received £80.

Division One

Results: Abbey (1) 8, Newgate 4; Ram’s Heid (2) 7, Portcullis (2) 5; Pageant 5, Railway Inn (1) 7; Letham Hotel (1) 7, Burns Bar (1) 5; Portcullis (1) 7, Legion (3) 5; Stag 6, Ram’s Heid (1) 6.

Division Two

Results: Portcullis (3) 6, Station 6; Ship Inn 10, Abbey (2) 2; Burns Bar (2) 4, Letham Hotel (2) 8; Railway Inn (2) 6, Bowlers 6; Fishermans 12, Bye 0; Legion (1) 7, Legion (2) 5.

Next week there are no league fixtures as the last 64 of Arbroath and District Pool League Kelbie Metals Singles will be played.

Kelbie Metals Singles

Ties are to be played on Tuesday, February 22, normal start time of 8 p.m. applies. Lag the first frame only then alternative breaks. Four qualifiers from venues with eight players, three qualifiers from all other venues. Best of five frames each tie. Controllers to phone or text the qualifiers names to 07835 338847 at the conclusion of the ties. Referees will be in place for all matches and the winners will referee.

The draw is as follows:

Portcullis (table near bar): Sean Hardwick, Dale Leith, Kevin Duncan, Roy Middleton*, Paddy Nicol and Steve Reid.

Portcullis (table near darts): Davie Williams, James Jackson, Neil Davidson, Graham Dunbar*, Scott Ord and Jimmy Balfour.

Burns Bar: Scott Strachan*, Richard Crowdar, Dave McFarlane, Brian Meikle, Lindsay Palser and Garry Mitchell.

Abbey Inn: Ryan Leslie, Craig Brown, Martin Rennie, Steve Webster*, Steve Hardwick and Steve Hallam.

Ram’s Heid (table right of door): Euan Sharpe*, James Dear, Stuart Smith, Neil Walker, Lee Ritchie, Jonathan Cargill, Aaron Wilson and Steven Scott.

Ram’s Heid (table left of door): Barrie Watt, Andrew Braid, Kent Mitchell, George Fairweather*, Tam Shepherd and Bob Whitelaw.

Legion (table near bar): Ryan MacKenzie, Scott Berrie, Frank Ebsworth, Kevin Watt, Gary McLeish and Greg Alexander*.

Legion (table near darts): Craig Dawson, Sandy McAllan, Ian Anderson, Kevin Hardie, Grant Forsyth, Jeff Barthorpe, Steve Talbert and Gordon Smith*.

Bowlers: Bobby Bell, John Fotheringham, Colin Brown*, Garry Craig, Nevada Mitchell and George Ogilvie.

Newgate: Brian Craig*, Tam Walkinshaw, Mark Wilkie, Ian Brown, Mark Gray and Scott Teviotdale.

* denotes controller.

SPA Singles

Five Arbroath qualifiers are playing this weekend in the last 128 of the Scottish Pool Association Singles in Rosyth. They are Graham Dunbar, Greg Alexander, Garry Mitchell, Paddy Nicoll and Davie Williams.

Willie McCartney event

This year’s SPA Willie McCartney finals (which was formerly the SPA Grassroots) has been moved to Saturday and Sunday, May 28 and 29, at the Corner Pocket in Falkirk. The date move means that this year there will be two of these competitions held (the first was in November). Next year it will be back to just the one event in May.

The ADPL finals was moved to a week earlier in May to accommodate this event.

As before, the format is a local qualifier first with the winners going on to represent Arbroath in the finals. Local qualifiers will be arranged as before - by the players contacting each other (within set deadlines) and arranging their own ties at mutually agreed times/venues.

All qualifying ties are again best of 11 frames, offering excellent value for £5.

Certain players in ADPL are not eligible due to them being on the SPA’s player categories. They know who they are!

Entry fee remains a measly £5 and deadline for entries is Saturday, March 5, to allow them to be paid and names submitted to the SPA. That allows players and captains three weeks to indicate their interest. As before, the more names the league submits, the more qualifiers will get through.

11-man event

Arbroath has entered two 12-man squads in the Midlothian 11-Man Team Event which will take place on Saturday, March 5. The Portcullis Singles (which was rescheduled for this date in some quarters) will be moved to a new date.

Interested players looking for selection should contact Graham Dunbar in the first instance or register their interest through the website forum. The teams will be selected in due course as the date is quickly approaching.

This would be an ideal opportunity for any players going to the SPA 11s in Ayr later that month to hone their game and would give players just back from Pettycur Bay a chance to show what they can do in a one-day format.