Davy is the top man in Masters competition

editorial image

THE INAUGURAL Wattyscues.webs.com Arbroath Masters took place in the Portcullis on Saturday when David Jack won the Arbroath Masters Champion title.

He beat Stuart Smith in a rerun of last years Arbroath and District Pool League singles final, by 7 frames to 5. The final was a tight affair with both players playing good pool. They were the most consistent performers on the day and fully deserved their final appearance.

David won five out of six matches. His only reverse came against Garry Mitchell 4-3 in the group stages. He played 45 frames of pool, winning 29 of them and only losing 16.

A round robin group format was played comprising four groups of four players with the top two from each group going on to the quarter-finals which were a straight knockout. The draw set up a number of tasty clashes between players who had not faced off for some time.

In group one, wildcard entry Gareth Ruxton deservedly took top spot with joint-favourite Graham Dunbar finishing as runner-up by virtue of frame difference. This meant Davie Williams and Roy Middleton dropped out of the competition but not before Roy walloped Graham Dunbar 4-0 in their final tie.

Group two was won by Steve Webster - the only player to post three from three on the day - and saw a ‘decider’ between Superleague ‘A’ captain Gordon Smith and four times former singles champion George Fairweather to decide who took the runner-up spot. George went on to win 4-0, which meant Gordon, along with another four-times former singles champion Jonathon Cargill, was eliminated.

Group three was a much tighter affair. Three players were tied on four points after the group games finished. Second favourite Colin Brown topped the group on frame difference. The other two , Steve Hallam and joint-favourite Greg Alexander, were tied on frame difference and therefore had to play-off. Steve won this 2-0 which meant that Greg and Dave McFarlane both left the competition prematurely.

Similarly, group four required frame differences to decide the top three positions after they all posted two wins apiece. David Jack topped the group by one frame, with Stuart Smith being runner-up. Garry Mitchell and Michael Bastow both exited the competition.

In the first quarter-final Gareth Ruxton took on Abbey (1) team-mate Stuart Smith. Gareth unfortunately couldn’t find the form he had shown in the group stage and succumbed to a 5-1 defeat.

The second quarter final was a battle of the Steve’s, Webster and Hallam. This was a see-saw contest which went all the way to a deciding frame. After a few cagey shots Steve Hallam finally won 5-4.

The third quarter-final between Colin Brown and George Fairweather was one sided with Colin running out a 5-1 winner.

In the last quarter-final, Graham Dunbar played David Jack. Graham took an early 2-0 lead only to let it slip and eventually lost 5-3.

The first semi-final saw Stuart Smith play an Abbey (1) team-mate again – this time Steve Hallam. A couple of tense frames were played out but Stuart finally saw off the challenge and won 6-3.

The second semi-final was between Colin Brown and David Jack. They had played each other twice in the recent Hangover Cup in Aberdeen when Colin won both matches. However, David quickly made amends for these defeats and closed the match out by 6 - 2. Colin took home £50 prize money for his day’s efforts.

In the final, Stuart looked to exact revenge for last years ADPL singles defeat. It was a see-saw battle but Stuart couldn’t find an elusive frame to square the match. David twice had a two frame advantage and eventually held his nerve to take the match 7-5. David, for his efforts, took home the top prize of £200, a cue and case - provided by Wattyscues.webs.com - and the Masters Champion Trophy. Stuart took home £120, a cue and a case and the runners-up trophy.

Thanks were extended to Walter Preston for having the drive to create an elite event and get everyone onboard; to Michael Bastow who not only ran the top table well but stepped in at the last minute to fill a space caused by drop-out; and George and Lorraine Williams and their staff at the Portcullis.

League fixtures

Division One

Fixtures: Abbey (1) v Newgate; Ram’s Heid (2) v Portcullis (2); Pageant v Railway Inn (1); Letham (1) v Burns Bar (1); Portcullis (1) v Legion (3); Stag v Ram’s Heid (1).

Division Two

Fixtures: Portcullis (3) v Station; Ship Inn v Abbey (2); Burns Bar (2) v Letham (2); Railway Inn (2) v Bowlers; Legion (1) v Legion (2); Fishermans v bye.

Victoria Bar have withdrawn from the league therefore all fixtures remaining involving them will be awarded as 12-0 win.

11-man team event

Arbroath and District Pool League is sending two teams to compete in the CJ’s 11-man team competition on Sunday, February 13, in CJ’s Pool Hall, Rosyth.

Superleague dress code is required. The ‘A’ team will wear navy Fujitsu T-shirts and the ‘B’ team should wear light blue Greenhams T-shirts.

The teams are made up as follows: ‘A’ team - Graham Dunbar, Ram’s Heid (2), captain; Davie Jack, Ram’s Heid (2); Roy Middleton, Ram’s Heid (2); Steve Hamilton, Ram’s Heid (2); Dave McFarlane, Ram’s Heid (2); Jonathon Cargill, Ram’s Heid (2); Colin Brown, Burns (1); Steve Webster, Portcullis (1); Gordon Smith, Abbey (1); Stuart Smith, Abbey (1); and Gareth Ruxton, Abbey (1).

‘B’ team - Paddy Nicoll, Ram’s Heid (2), captain; Gordon Dickson, Ram’s Heid (2); Lee Strachan, Ram’s Heid (2); Michael Bastow, Ram’s Heid (2); John Maud, Ram’s Heid (1); Dale Leith, Portcullis (1); Scott MacEwan, Portcullis (1); Neil Davidson, Letham; Drew Webster, Letham; Steve Reid, Burns (1); Richard Patterson, Burns (1); and Neil Walker, Burns (1).

All players should meet at McDonalds for 8.45 a.m. Travel is by private car arranged between the players themselves.