Battling win for Arbroath sees off resolute Glens

Arbroath travelled to Glenrothes to play their second XV knowing it would be a hard game as the home teamed had just had a good win against a strong Medics team.

Arbroath kicked off and were under pressure from strong pick and driving until Gray stole the ball and Arbroath set off down the pitch only to be stopped by a knock on.

Grom the scrum the Arbroath pack drove strong and forced the scrum half to panic and get penalised for holding on.

Captain Gray decided instead of the easy three points to kick to touch and his decision was soon to be rewarded with Breach taking the ball and a driving mual was set up, and eventually it was Breach who scored the try from a well worked forwards drive. Gray missed the conversion.

From the restart the ball was kicked dead so Arbroath took the scrum and immediately the backs were on the front foot with strong running from Collins only to be stopped for a forward pass to Andrew.

The Arbroath front row of Brawn Crowe and Starkey were getting the better of their opposite numbers and from the next scrum the pack pushed the Glens pack off the ball and Balharry fired out a pass to standoff Collins who put the afterburners on and strolled passed the Glens defence to score in the corner. Again Gray missed the conversion so it was 10 -0 to Arbroath.

Watson knocked on from the restart and the Glens number eight broke right and made good ground up into the Arbroath 22 only to be stopped by a great tackle by Saddington into touch.

From the lineout Muir went up high and caught the ball and the pack drove a good 20 yards before the ball was sent out to the backs to have a run at the Glens backs.

Andrew’s strong straight running was making yards ever ytime he got the ball and this resulted in a penalty for not rolling away: up stepped Gray to send the ball through the posts for 13-0 as the ref blew for half-time.

Glens kicked off and won the ball and set up some good pick and drives and Arbroath were soon penalised for offside and a quickly taken tap resulted in the Glens centre scoring in the corner. The conversion was.

Collins sent the restart high and good pressure from Watson resulted in a knock on and a scrum to Arbroath; from the scrum Collins again set off with pace and some footwork a ballroom dancer would be pleased with to score under the posts. It was converted by Gray to make it 20-5 to Arbroath.

Muir took the restart and offloaded to Haynes who mad good yardage into the Glens half and some quick offloading and support play by the forwards and backs resulted in Glens being offside; Gray finding his range now made easy work of the penalty for 23-5.

Arbroath seemed to go to sleep and Glens were rewarded when a quickly taken penalty resulted in the centre strolling in under the posts after beating about six players.

It wasn’t until the last minute that Arbroath killed the game as again Collins used his pace to stroll past the Glens defence and with just the fullback to beat he drew his man and sent a perfect pass to Saddington, who sped up the line to score his first try for Arbroath and secure the bonus point win.

Gray converted as the ref blew for full-time at 30-12.

This was a hard fought victory and Arbroath know they must improve.