Arbroath boxers in action

SEVERAL Arbroath Amateur Boxing Club fighters have been in action recently. Lewis Keith faced Stuart Wright, of Granite City ABC.

This was on the bill at Sunnybank Social Club, Aberdeen

Lewis started fast in round one taking control of the ring centre against his taller opponent and firing out fast jabs and solid right hands.Wright kept forcing the bout but walked into two long straight rights from Keith which knocked his head back. Round two, and the home boxer tried to stamp his authority on the bout, but Lewis stuck to his boxing, picking up points with fast two-handed combinations and long left hooks. Both boxers dug deep in the last round with Wright applying pressure but Keith’s fitness was the difference and he took the last with his higher work rate and accuracy.

Lewis was awarded an unanimous points win and continues his winning form in what has been a busy season.

Arbroath’s Darren Foster met Jordan Pirie, of Kincorth ABC. This was a rematch and a chance for Foster to even the score with Pirie who had won a close one the previous month. Both boxers started where they left off going toe to toe in the first round with Darren’s speed proving to be the difference as he caught his opponent with rapid combinations to head and body.

The second was much of the same with both men smiling at each other as they kept up their relentless action. Pirie was finding success with uppercuts on the inside causing damage to Darren’s mouth, this only spurred Foster on and he ended the round on top landing with sharp punches from all angles. There was no sign of either boxer slowing down in the third of this exciting bout with Pirie marching forward only to be met with crisp shots from the in form Foster who was bobbing and weaving under his opponents punches to the end.

Foster was the winner of this crowd pleaser and is looking better than ever.

At the Skyaxe Kick Boxing Club, Dundee, Terry Ballantine faced Kevin Mullaney, of Dundee ABC.

Terry started positively against the home boxer, driving forward trying to land his trademark right hand. Mullaney responded with left jabs as he boxed on the backfoot. Terry was matching him punch for punch at the end of a close first round. Ballantine again forced the action against his tall opponent in the second, pinning him against the ropes as he landed hooks on the inside. The Dundee man got on his toes and attempted to keep the fight at long range as Ballantine kept coming forward finding success with his left hook. The bout was in the balance going into the third, with Terry trying his best to pin down his elusive opponent who was landing his left jab as Terry moved forward to land his own heavier punches.

The judges awarded the bout to the local man with a narrow points decision.