VIDEO: Rangers too strong for Arbroath

Three first half goals for the Rangers saw Arbroath fall to their sixth defeat in a row at Gayfield on Monday night.

The league leaders went ahead inside two minutes thanks to Jon Daly before a Bradley Donaldson own goal doubled their lead and Nicky Clark added a final goal.

Lee Erwin in action against Rangers at Gayfield.

Lee Erwin in action against Rangers at Gayfield.

The Lichties put in a much better performance in the second half but the deficit was just too much for them to reduce.

Rangers opened the scoring on two minutes after winning a free kick on the left hand corner of the box.

The set piece taken by Ian Black flew in and Jon DALY was on hand to tap the ball in the back of the net.

They then dominated the possession keeping the Lichties on their toes, but they did have chances of their own.

A long ball in from a Paul Sheerin free kick fell to Bobby Linn but his shot went straight to the ‘keeper.

On 25 minutes Rangers were almost two up through an own goal by Michael Travis but his header luckily went wide.

But just seconds later they did double their lead when a corner fell to McLeod and his shot was deflected into the goal by DONALDSON. Faure then almost made it three with a header from a corner but it went high over the bar.

On 30 minutes Arbroath won a free kick in a prominent position on the edge of the box when Mohsni brought down Erwin.

Cook took the set piece but it was inches high over the bar.

But on the stroke of half-time it was 3-0 when the visitors won a free kick just outside the area.

It was sent in by Wallace and Nicky CLARK slotted it home.

Half-time: Arbroath 0, Rangers 3.

After the interval the Lichties had the first effort when Linn struck a shot. But his shot flashed across the goal face.

On the hour mark Daly once again forced his way on goal after getting the better of the Arbroath defence, but his shot rattled the post.

And six minutes later he found himself through on goal again but he blasted the ball high.

Arbroath then had their best chance on goal when Erwin found an opening in the Rangers defence.

He squared the ball to Christopher Scott but his shot came off the post.

Rangers almost made it four when Wallace was in a strong position but his shot rolled wide.

Arbroath: Morrison, Banjo, Hamilton, Scott (Bayne), Travis, Donaldson, Linn, Chisholm, Erwin (Milne), Cook and Sheerin (Smith).

Rangers: Bell, Faure, Mohsni (Hutton), Aird, Wallace, McCulloch, Clark, Black (Crawford) Daly and McLeod.