VIDEO: Plucky Lichties force Gers to dig deep

Rangers 3, Arbroath 2

Brave Arbroath forced Rangers to dig deep for a victory which kept their unbeaten league record intact.

The Lichties twice held the lead through David Banjo and Bobby Linn, but goals from Jon Daly, David Templeton and Lee McCulloch (penalty) keep the points at Ibrox.

Arbroath got the match under way attacking the Copland Road end and they made a dream start netting in the second minute.

Bobby Linn sent the ball wide to Alan Cook whose cross was perfect for David Banjo to side-foot past the helpless Cammy Bell from four yards for his second of the campaign.

In eight minutes an Aird corner was cleared as far as Lee Wallace whose whistling shot was inches wide.

Rangers created a chance in 15 minutes with a well crafted mood down the right saw a cross from Nicky Law for Jon Daly but he headed wide.

Ally McCoist’s men did level when Lee Wallace got away down the left and crossed for Jon Daly whose easily slotted home his 15th league goal of the season.

The home side came close again moments later when Ian Black sent Lewis MacLeod away on the left and his chip was nodded away by Colin Hamilton.

Wallace was causing a lot of problems and he got away again in 28 minutes, but Daly fell over his cut-back from the left by line.

Dean Shiels thought he had levelled in 34 minutes, but his shot from the right was into the side-netting.

Bilel Mohsni was close to giving Rangers the lead just before the break when he headed an Aird corner goalward, but Morrison saved and the Lichties cleared their lines.

Half-time: Rangers 1, Arbroath 1.

Rangers made a chance in the opening seconds of the half when Shiels flicked the ball through to Nicky Law whose shot destined for the net was saved by Morrison.

Arbroath went back in front in 49 minutes. Cook threaded a pass through to Bobby Linn who fired a low shot in from just inside the box which Bell got a hand to, but the ball spun into the net off the post.

Rangers became more desperate in their efforts and substitute David Templeton blasted over from inside the box.

The Light Blues levelled in 72 minutes when Templeton weaved into the box and his shot took a deflection taking it past Morrison.

They thought they had levelled moments later when another Templeton shot crashed back off the post to Mohsni who slotted home, but he was in an offside position and the ‘goal’ was disallowed.

Rangers won a penalty in 77 minutes when a cross from Little saw Hamilton push an inrushing striker. McCulloch took the kick and although Morrison guessed correctly he couldn’t keep it out and the home side led 3-2.

Arbroath brought on new signing Paul McManus and Graham Bayne to pep up the attack and they came close through a Keddie header late on which resulted in a stramash but they couldn’t force an equaliser over the line.

Rangers: Bell, Faure, Mohsni, Aird, Wallace, McCulloch, Shiels, Black, Daly, MacLeod, Law. Substitutes: Simonsen, Little, Templeton, Crawford, Foster, Peralta, Cribari.

Arbroath: Morrison, Little, Hamilton, Nicoll, Travis, Keddie, Linn, Chisholm, Banjo, Cook, Scott. Substitutes: Wood, Lindsay, Sheerin, Yao, McManus, Robertson, Bayne.

Referee: Barry Cook.

Attendance: 41,207