Vics Gibbed after North End gubbing

Arbroath Victoria AFC.
Arbroath Victoria AFC.

Arbroath Vics suffered a heavy home defeat to Dundee North End in the East Region North Division on Saturday.

The visitors got the game under way and were ahead within 30 seconds: Alex Gibb was sent clear up the right flank straight from kick-off and Jonathan Smart burst into the box to meet Gibb’s cross and power a header beyond the reach of Alex Cargill.

Vics were all over the place in the opening exchanges and were fortunate not to fall two behind in the second minute, Lee Cameron smacking a shot off the post after Kevin Durno could only steer a Gavin Tinley cross into the forward’s path.

Gibb then saw a shot clip the crossbar before going over.

The sides traded chances with Durno going close for the hosts at one end and Tinley having a deflected effort saved by Cargill at the other.

But the Vics managed to get back on level terms in the 33rd minute - Rikki Gillespie firing a free kick into the bottom corner from just outside the box.

Arbroath were five minutes away from going into the interval on equal footing with North End but lost two goals in 60 seconds.

Gibb got himself on the scoresheet in the 40th minute when he ran onto a through ball that just evaded Corey McCulloch, before he added the third at the end of a fine move by curling a shot into the far corner from just inside the box.

It could have been 4-1 right after the restart as Matty Johnston was harshly penalised for a handball, but Gibb’s spot-kick was well saved by Cargill.

Abdourahman Njie then pulled the ball back across goal for Scott Donald but he sent his shot spinning over the bar.

Njie could have been awarded a penalty after it appeared he was pulled back inside the box before he could get a shot away but the ref waved play on.

And North End heaped the misery on Arbroath when they extended their lead in the 70th minute, Gibb completing his hat-trick after drawing Cargill off his line before clipping the ball beyond him from just inside the box.

It was 5-1 just two minutes later, Gibb grabbing his fourth after converting Cameron’s left-wing cross.

Njie almost pulled one back with a stinging effort but Mackie was able to push it aside for a corner.

Both teams made double substitutions in the last 15 minutes with Liam Hely and Dale Riddell replacing Donald and McCulloch for the vics, while Ewan McIlvenny and Owen McCabe came on for Liam Harper and Ryan Hunter.

And it was a North End sub that finished Arbroath’s miserable afternoon as they grabbed their sixth goal of the game, McCabe turning in a Gary Robertson cross from close range.

Vics are at home again this Saturday (tomorrow) as they welcome Scone Thistle to Ogilvy Park in league action; kick-off is 2.30pm.

ARBROATH VICS: Cargill, MacGregor, McCulloch (Riddell, 77), Johnston, Durno, Thomson, Gillespie, Chalmers, Donald (Hely, 77), Njie, Warren.

DUNDEE NORTH END: Mackie, Stewart, Robertson, George, Burns, Harper (McIlvenny, 77), Tinley, Hunter (McCabe, 77), Smart, Gibb, Cameron.