Vics dispose of Athletic in cup

editorial image

ARBROATH Vics made the short trip to Whitton Park to meet Premier league side Broughty Athletic in the preliminary round of the GA Engineering Cup on Saturday.

Lee Hutcheson returned in goal replacing Bob Duncan, who had kept a clean sheet in the win over Coupar Angus, while Craig Sturrock, recovered from injury, returned to his usual place at left-back.

The home side were the first to show when Jordan Timmons fired in a snap-shot from just outside the area, which forced Hutcheson to dive and gather on the six-yard line.

At the other end, Kevin Laing sent David McLeish free on the right, but Burns was down quickly to save at his feet just inside the box before he could get a shot away.

Broughty had a let-off in only the sixth minute when a long ball from Sturrock saw Timmons attempt to head back to his ‘keeper, only for Burns to come racing out of his box to deal with it.

Fortunately for the home side, the ball struck the ‘keeper in the chest and rebounded away from Craig Watson who would have had an empty net to knock it into if it had gone anywhere else.

Vics looked the more composed side and deservedly took the lead in the 25th minute.

McLeish sent a pass through the Broughty defence, which released WATSON and the striker kept his composure to steer a shot beyond the advancing keeper from just outside the box.

Vics were inches away from increasing their lead in the 31st minute when McLeish met a headed clearance on the volley and his left-footed effort from 20 yards struck the bar and dropped over with Burns beaten.

An in swinging corner from Mark Kohler forced Hutcheson to fist the ball off the line, but Vics went in at the interval a goal to the good, despite Sturrock picking up a yellow card for a foul on Stephen Hegarty in the 40th minute.

Half-time: Broughty Athletic, 0 Arbroath Vics 1.

Vics almost doubled their lead within a couple of minutes of the re-start.

Andy Cowan got on the end of a McLeish corner at the near post and his downward header was blocked on the line by Burns low to his left.

Laing then almost caught the ‘keeper out with what appeared to be a cross from wide on the right, which drifted just wide of the far post.

Timmons was yellow carded for dissent, before Vics had a goal disallowed.

Gavin Shannon hauled down Sturrock, earning himself a booking and from the free-kick, Watson got to the ball before Burns to head into the net.

Vics’ joy was short-lived however as the referee chalked it off, although it was not clear what infringement he had spotted.

A second goal looked inevitable and it duly arrived in the 60th minute.

Durno fired a long ball forward and WATSON got on the end of it before running on and lobbing it over the head of Burns who had left his line in attempt to close down the angle.

Vics were close to grabbing a third in the 65th minute when McLeish played it into the middle where Watson stepped over the ball, taking the defenders with him and Mowatt coming in behind saw his low 18 yard shot slip inches wide of the post.

Broughty sent on Graham Allan for Phil Donaldson and within a couple of minutes were back in the game when BARRY MYLES smashed a shot into the roof of the net when Vics struggled to clear a Kris Brash free-kick from out of the box.

Broughty were down to 10 men soon after when Timmons took out Chris Simpson inside the centre circle, earning him a second yellow card and ending his involvement in the match.

The win was sealed in the 85th minute when Vics went 3-1 in front.

Mowatt played Andy Cowan in down the right and when he rolled the ball across the box, Craig Watson helped it on for GARRY WARREN to turn into the net from inside the six-yard box.

Broughty almost pulled it back to 3-2 in the 88th minute when Brash got his head to a long throw-in but the ball struck the inside of the post and Vics were able to clear it away.

Vics were more than worthy winners against a side from the league above them and are now away to East Craigie in the first round proper.


Broughty Athletic: D. Burns, Timmons, Donaldson (Allan 72), Kohler (Tremaine 55), M. Brash, Myles, Shannon (K.Brash 55), G. Burns, Fraser, Hegarty and Plenderleith. Not used: Cormack and MacLeod.

Arbroath Vics: Hutcheson, McLeish (Warren 80), Laing, Cowan, Durno, Florence, Mowatt, Fotheringham, Watson, Simpson and Sturrock. Not used: Johnston, Lawson and Duncan.

Referee: Mr. K. Graham, Perth.

Tomorrow’s match

Vics are back on league business tomorrow (Saturday) when they are at home to Kirrie Thistle. Kick-off is at 2.30 p.m.

150 Club

150 Club winners this week were: £10 – No. 148 Chris Farr; £5 – No. 72 Nicky Gouck.