Vics begin season with loss to Fife side Lochore

Arbroath Victoria AFC.
Arbroath Victoria AFC.

The junior football season got underway on Saturday with Arbroath Vics making the trip into Fife to meet Lochore Welfare in the North Division.

The home side were quickly out of the blocks with Jamie McGuire sending the ball into the box for Danny Watt to fire a shot towards the near post, which Alex Cargill managed to dive across to reach and push behind for a corner.

Vics failed to heed that early scare and with only five minutes on the clock, found themselves behind.

Danny Watt played the ball up to Fraser McGuire on the 18 yard line before taking the return and advancing into the box and guiding a shot into the net off the base of the far post.

It should have been 2-0 to Lochore in the 11th minute when Scott Renton found himself unmarked at the back post when Josh McPhie swung in a corner, but fortunately for Vics he guided his header over the bar.

It was Lochore who were doing most of the pressing and it came as no surprise when they doubled their lead in the 24th minute.

Josh McPhie sent Jamie McGuire racing up the left and when he crossed into the box, Watt turned the ball back for McPhie, who had continued his run, to pick his spot beyond Cargill.

Vics were clearly rattled and a couple of minutes later, Lochore swept into a 3-0 lead.

Lee Celentano played the ball towards the by-line where Jamie McGuire took over before turning it back for Watt to rifle a shot high into the roof of the net.

The home side were again on the front foot at the start of the second half and when Watt and McGuire linked up to send the ball out to McPhie, wide on the right, his driven cross into the box saw McGuire stretch out a leg to turn it beyond the post.

McGuire then blasted a shot inches over the bar from almost on the 18 yard line as Lochore continued to dominate proceedings.

Vics almost pulled a goal back in the 58th minute when Josh Chalmers swung a cross into the box and Scott Donald got to it before keeper Gary Inglis but his looping header, which went over the keeper, was booted off the line as it dropped under the bar.

In a rare Vics attack, Dean Shaw was brought down within sight of goal and Jamie Thomson fired the resultant free-kick just wide of Inglis’ left-hand post.

Just when it looked as if Vics might escape the second half without further concession, the home side bagged a fourth in the 88th minute.

Graeme Moore sent a long ball down the left, which McPhie got on the end of, before cutting into the box and firing an angled drive high into the roof of the net.

For Cargill it might have got worse for Vics when Watt burst into the box looking for his hat-trick, but the keeper managed to block his effort away as he attempted to go round him.

Vics have Fife opposition again this Saturday as they play host to Newburgh in the league.

Kick-off is at 2.30 p.m.