Two impressive away wins take ACSC back to summit

Invergowrie 0, ACSC 1

So another week and another midweek fixture brilliantly arranged by Mafa with ACSC recieving an away fixture against Invergowrie (the furthest away they could travel!).

Manager Longmuir was forced to make a few changes to the squad with a number of personnel unavailable due to work commitments. The back four lined up as Smith, Mattheson, Gersok with Hardie once again drafted in at left back. McCulloch filled in for for the unavailable Campbell at left midfield with R.Swan filling the right midfield area. The engine room remained the same, M.Swan and McDowell retaining their places with Gatrick moving up top to partner Gillespie.

The game started brightly for the ACSC who were moving the ball about well in the wide left area in particular. There was some promising link up play between Gatrick and Gillespie who seemed to be forming an understanding of sorts.

The first and only goal of the game came when Gillespie slipped his marker up the left before sending in a perfect cross for Gatrick who had timed his run perfectly evading his marker and wrong footing the opposition keeper slotting the ball in the onion bag from six yards.

Half-time: Invergowrie 0, ACSC 1.

To Invergowrie’s credit they certainly gained some heart from ACSC’s failure to kill off the game and came back into the game second half with numerous free kicks and corners which the ACSC dealt with on the whole very well.

It was Invergowrie that finished the game stronger and ACSC found themselves holding on and ‘defending like lions’, Powrie throwing himself in front of the ball with blatant disregard for his body after the Invergowrie midfielder had hit the bar with header.

And then in the last minute Cargill in the goal once again proved his worth to the team after the striker had been quickest to a flick-on to thwart his goal bound effort with another fantastic save. However the ACSC saw the game out to pick up another three vital points in the league campaign.

Not a pretty game but sometimes it’s not about the performance it’s about the result as the ACSC ground out another three vitally important points in the league. Midweek games can be somewhat of a lottery and these type of results can prove crucial in the run-in and climax to the season. All the best to Invergowrie as they battle to beat the drop in which a number of established clubs have found themselves now involved in.

Bank Street Athletic 0, ACSC 6

ACSC travelled to Bank Street Athletic’s Fintry Park on Saturday for another crucial game in the run in to the league campaign.

Bank St had been the in form team after coming off the back of nine games without a loss to get themselves back into the title race themselves. Indeed if they collected the three points then they would go one point behind the visitors with a game in hand. The incentive for the visitors was that a win would put them back to the summit of the league albeit having played more games than their nearest rivals St James and Riverside.

Manager Longmuir had to tinker with the line-up once again with a number of personnel being unavailable due to work commitments. In came the reliable Powrie for Mattheson and the versatile McCulloch moved back to left back for Hardie.

In midfield the impressive Campbell replaced McCulloch wide left and the bearded Gatrick replaced M. Swan in the middle of the park. ‘The Hoof’ Matthew Gall came in up top to replacing Gatrick as Longmuir looked to freshen things up after the club’s midweek excertions against Invergowrie.

ACSC started the game with the bit between their teeth leaving the home side wondering what had hit them as they stormed into a two goal lead. Campbell was released down the left by McDowell who then raced clear of the chasing defender to fire an angled drive beyond the helpless ‘keeper into the corner of the onion bag.

Worse was to come for the hosts when Gall replicated a goal against Merpro last year and fired home from an impossible angle making it 2-0 in 10 minutes.

Bank Street as you would expect raised their game knowing the importance of the match and came more into the game but the ACSC defence were holding a good line and dealing with the home sides advances. The home side then pressed the self-destruct button when their striker lost his discipline after a penalty shout (which was very hopeful) and decided to vent his frustration directly at the referee for which he received his marching orders.

Half-time: Bank Street 0, ACSC 2.

ACSC increased their lead when Campbell was again set free on the left and finished with aplomb to put the game effectively beyond the home side.

Bank Street’s woes continued when their centre half who had not learned from their previous sending off found himself also seeing red after complaining about another inocuous challenge. ACSC increased their lead further when Gunning, who was just on as a substitute, started then finished a slick move to make it 4-0. Bank St seemed intent on making their task even harder and another of their strikers saw red after another tirade of abuse volleyed at the referee.

ACSC finished the game strongly with R.Gillepie and Longmuir adding to the visitors’ total.

For the ACSC this win and the way that they started the game when it was 11 v 11 was a massive positive for manager Longmuir. The win now puts them top of the league and with St James and Riverside playing each other this week something will have to give as the pressure builds on the favourites as the league campaign enters its climax. The ACSC can take great confidence from this game on their travels and will now face an even bigger test tomorrow (Saturday) when they approach their next game away to Broughty Athletic.