Shootout needed as Carnoustie edge past Vics in GA Cup derby

Carn v Vics 26/09/15
Carn v Vics 26/09/15

Near neighbours Carnoustie Panmure and Arbroath Vics met in a preliminary round tie in the GA Engineering Cup at Laing Park on Saturday.

The Gowfers got off to the best possible start, taking the lead inside the first 90 seconds with their first attack.

Pat Smith gathered the ball in midfield and sent it out to Michael McIlravey on the right and when he made ground to the byline and clipped it back into the middle, Smith had continued his run to send a header beyond the reach of Alex Cargill in the Vics goal.

In the seventh minute, Daniel Neath sent the ball down the left where Marc Scott latched onto it and drove into the box, but Cargill got down to block his shot away with his legs at the near post.

Vics came close to getting back on level terms when Josh Chalmers sent a cross to the far post where Liam Hely got in a downward header, which looked net-bound until Alan Cormack got down to usher it around the post with his body.

Despite the loss of an early goal, Vics were giving as good as they got and when Rikki Gillespie worked a free-kick with Liam Hely and took the return, Cormack in the home goal was relieved to see his shot fly over the bar.

A quickfire Carnoustie attack almost cut Vics open in the 27th minute when Smith, Black and McIlravey combined to set up Scott Gray, but Cargill came to the visitors’ rescue, diving to smother his shot low down at the post.

Vics’ efforts were rewarded when they got back on level terms from the penalty spot.

Hely picked up a Gillespie pass and was upended just a couple of yards inside the box.

Steven Cook picked up a yellow card before Josh Chalmers netted the award; his shot finding the back of the net off the hands of keeper Cormack.

Vics were first to threaten after the interval when Dale Millar took advantage of a mix-up in midfield and the striker sent a long range effort over the bar after the ball broke into his path.

A slip from Stuart Gersok let Abdourahman Njie in and the substitute elected to shoot first time, having spotted Cormack off his line, but his effort curled wide of the post.

In the 88th minute, Gordon MacDonald got free on the left and sent a cross into the middle, but Scott Gray failed to find the target with his header, directing it wide of the post.

Three minutes into stoppage time, Carnoustie almost won it when Gray got to a McIlravey through ball ahead of Cargill and lofted it over the head of the keeper on the edge of the box, but Steve Florence raced back to hook it off the line.

Vics were first to shoot, but McCulloch saw his shot saved before Black gave Carnoustie the lead by netting their first kick.

Chalmers sent his effort wide of the target before MacDonald extended Carnoustie’s lead by scoring their second.

Gillespie brought Vics back into contention when he netted their third and Cargill then gave them further hope when he saved from Gray.

Matty Johnston failed to convert Vics’ fourth kick before Luke McGeehan took Carnoustie through to the next round by ramming his kick into the roof of the net to win the penalty shoot-out 3-1.

This Saturday, Vics are back on league duty in the North Division when they travel into Fife to meet leaders Glenrothes. Kick-off is at 2.30 p.m. and players should meet at Ogilvy Park at 11.45 a.m.

Carnoustie are also in Fife as guests of Hill of Beath Hawthorn in the Super League.

Kick-off is also 2.30 p.m.

Carnoustie: Cormack, Cook (Roberts, 46), Neath (MacDonald, 72), Gersok, Roche, McGeehan, McIlravey, Black, Smith (McCabe, 60), Gray, Scott

Arbroath: Cargill, MacGregor, McCulloch, Johnston, Florence, Lawson, Chalmers, Thomson, Millar (Njie, 74), Gillespie, Hely