REPORT: Crazy own goal gives Clyde win at Arbroath

editorial image

A freak own goal by Craig Wilson gave Clyde a 1-0 win over Arbroath, making it just two points taken from five games for the Lichties.

Both sides finished the first half with 10 men as Ricky Little and David Gormley were given straight red cards for separate incidents.

And Arbroath were again left ruing a string of missed chances, with goalkeeper Allan Fleming in marvellous form at the other end of the park.

Todd Lumsden’s team moved to a 3-4-2-1 formation as Mark Williams, Jamie Henry, Darren Ramsay and Greg Rutherford replaced Shaun Rutherford, Jamie Reid, Sergio Alvarez and Kane Hester - all of whom moved to the bench.

John Gemmell almost put Clyde ahead inside 60 seconds, flicking a free kick on with his head but Fleming was right behind the ball and saved easily.

The hosts went close to an opener when Andy Munro’s header drew a tremendous stop out of Marc Waters, before Little headed over when the ball came back into the box from wide.

Fleming made a terrific double save on 24 minutes, first denying Gormley from long range before clawing Marsh’s goalbound effort off the line.

There was a great chance at the other end shortly after as Ramsay just failed to turn Henry’s effort past the keeper before Mark Whatley grazed the post with his 20-yard strike.

Arbroath had to change their shape on 34 minutes as Little received a straight red card for impeding Gormley on the edge of the box.

The duo had nobody ahead of them when they both tripped in a challenge, and the referee judged Little to be illegally stopping Gormley from returning to his feet - a second after the Clyde forward did just that to the Lichties defender.

Fleming saved superbly from Scott Linton’s free kick with Clyde proceeding to dominate the ball, but they couldn’t carve out any chances.

And the teams were levelled up right on half-time as Gormley received a straight red card for a lunging foul on Wilson.

Very little happened after the break in terms of clear chances - aside from Ramsay’s low shot - but it was Arbroath who enjoyed more of the ball.

Clyde then broke away and Fleming, in top form, made a stunning double stop to deny Marsh.

And the Bully Wee went ahead with less than 20 minutes to go, a cross from the right striking Wilson in the back of the head and looping over Fleming.

Williams and Linn forced saves from Waters before Fleming denied Slane.

Linn hammered the ball into the side netting in the dying seconds, a fine opportunity as Arbroath roared forward in search of a winner.