REPORT: Arbroath vs Stirling Uni

Mark Whatley and Bobby Linn.
Mark Whatley and Bobby Linn.

Arbroath cruised into the next round of the Scottish Cup with a 3-1 win over 10-man University of Stirling.

All the goals came in the first half as Chris Geddes put the Uni ahead with a stunning finish before the hosts responded through Colin Hamilton, Bobby Linn and Steven Doris.

Kyle Faulds was given a straight red card for a two-footed lunge just before Doris got the hosts’ third and Dick Campbell’s side were even more comfortable against 10 men.

Geddes got the game's first chance after nine minutes when he looked to hook a lob over Ricky Gomes following some indecisive Arbroath defending, however the Lichties goalie got a palm to the shot and managed to quickly collect the ball.

The hosts went close a minute later when Martin Scott headed over the bar at a corner.

Geddes put the Uni in front on 17 minutes with a glorious finish from the edge of the box, curling the ball into the top right corner after dragging Colin Hamilton all over the place.

Doris almost levelled in spectacular fashion two minutes later with a bicycle kick at the end of Ryan McCord's chipped cross but the striker's effort was driven into the turf and bounced agonisingly wide.

Hamilton went one better though from a corner kick, bulleting a header past Ryan Marshall.

Linn made it 2-1 right after, smashing the ball in from close range after Omar Kader played it inside; Danny Ashe got a touch to it but he couldn't stop it going over the line.

McCord was an inch away from extending the lead on 39 minutes with a stunning long range free kick, but Marshall got his fingertips to the goalbound ball and put it over his crossbar.

Stirling skipper Kyle Faulds was given a straight red card just before the break for going into a challenge on Gary Phillips with both feet.

And from the resultant free kick, McCord's cross was met by Scott and his header came bouncing back off the post with Marshall beaten.

Scott was instrumental in the third seconds later, bringing the ball down from a cross for Doris to volley home from eight yards out.

Kader found Scott with a lofted cross 11 minutes into the second period but the forward's header was into the ground and wide.

Linn almost got his second when he tried his luck from 22 yards but Marshall got a weak hand to it that was just enough to stop a goal.

McCord went close with a glancing header but the University stopper made a tremendous stop to deny Arbroath their fourth goal.

There were further chances for Linn and Scott late on but the game finished 3-1 as the Lichties moved into the next round of the Scottish Cup.