Report: Arbroath set new club record for unbeaten away games

Pic by Graham Black.
Pic by Graham Black.

Arbroath go into the final quarter of the season with their title hopes still alive after a dramatic draw in horrendous weather conditions at Elgin City.

Despite playing the final 20 minutes with only 10 men, the Lichties set a new club record as they extended their undefeated away run to 10 matches.

Dick Campbell kept faith in the same starting line that defeated Cowdenbeath and his side soon started to take control in the early stages of the game.

Referee Mat Northcroft booked Colin Hamilton for his first foul as he tangled with Elgin’s Craig McLeish as he ran towards goal.

Archie MacPhee took the free kick and forced Ricky Gomes to punch away the 30 yard drive.

Bobby Linn provided a swinging cross into the box which fell at the back post through a crowded box taking taking Martin Scott by surprise as his effort lopped past the goal.

Ricky Gomes denied Chris Dodd twice in quick succession showing great ability to save a deflected long range strike then palming away a close range effort from 12 yards.

A slack pass by Elgin allowed Linn to intercept before running at goal, skipping past two defenders but Cameron Mackay saved his close range angled strike.

The second half erupted as Elgin’s Craig Gunn and the chasing Hamilton both fell to the ground as they closed in on the Arbroath box.

The home support cheered expecting a penalty and dismissal but referee Northcroft waved play on incensing manager Jim Weir who was spoken to at the next break in play.

Ryan McCord came close for the Lichties as he rattled the Elgin bar with a header after connecting to a Gavin Malin cross.

The game boiled over again in the 69th minute.

A loose clearance from an Arbroath free kick was chased down by Hodge and McLeish and at the other end, Little looked to strike the ball at goal but all three players ended up colliding.

As Little was already cautioned the Elgin players soon mobbed the referee, who seemed content just to give a free kick, however after consulting with the far side linesman he marched over to Little and flashed a straight red card for violent conduct much to the disbelief of Little and the Arbroath bench.

Defender Matty Smyth was brought on for Scott and despite playing with 10 men, the Lichties could have had all three points when a brilliant counter attack by Linn found Kader in space and his dangerous ball across the Elgin goal was just missed by McCord who claimed he was pushed.

As Elgin failed to capitalise with the extra man there was one last chance as again Linn weaved into the Elgin box but his angled drive found the side netting.