‘Quinny’ the saviour for Lads’ Club

Lads’ Club 2, Murieston 1

WITH managers Waddell and Paterson having done their homework, they knew that Livingston side Murieston were a strong outfit. And this proved to be the case in this pulsating Scottish Cup third round tie.

Murieston had a strong central core with numbers 5, 14 and 17 proving to be central to their play on every occasion. It was 14 and 17 who combined well on seven minutes to force the ball through with the latter finishing well to put the visitors one up.

Club soon found their rhythm though and began to pressure Murieston into making mistakes with play mainly confined to a midfield battle.

The Arbroath side came off at half-time one down but knew, with the ever increasing wind at their backs, they stood a good chance of progressing.

Right from the whistle, Club began to show their authority and were bossing the play and it was only a matter of time before they found the equaliser. Wave after wave of attacks eventually bore fruit when, after forcing numerous corners, WADDELL rose majestically from a Clark cross to bullet a header passed a stranded ‘keeper on 47 minutes.

The Arbroath side were on the ascendancy. As the game went on they knew Murieston were tiring, and took full advantage, but for some strong tackling and indiscipline from both sides, and a referee who struggled to control proceedings, it was anyone’s game and whoever scored the next goal would win the tie.

Club kept the pressure on with Beattie and Lightfoot combining well and they were celebrating when, what looked like a perfectly good strike from Beattie hit the back of the net, but the referee chalked it off as Murieston protested that it had gone through the side-netting.

Murieston attacks were few and far between but they still posed a threat when they pushed forward and Millar was required to pull off some tremendous saves to keep his team in the tie.

With the tie looking like it was heading for extra time and Murieston piling everyone forward and Club looking to attack on every occasion, a defensive clearance from Carnegie broke to Beattie who drove forward. He in turn fed Lightfoot who unselfishly squared the ball to CLARK who, from 12 yards, drove passed the advancing ‘keeper to bury the ball in the back of the net. 2-1 with minutes to go.

Club then got everyone behind the ball in an attempt to see the game out, but with seconds remaining, Murieston thought they had grabbed a lifeline to force the game into extra-time. Number 17 again forged ahead and managed to get past Millar and, with the goal gaping, only needed to slot home from four yards, only for Quinn to come from nowhere to clear off the line and save the tie.

The Arbroath side played out the remaining few seconds and were elated when the referee blew for time up. This was a great advert for youth football with both sides giving their all.

Club entertained their guests from Livingston back at the Cricket Club, and both managers would like to thank the parents for supplying the food and Gary, Neil and Lesley Burnett for the use of the club.

The squad now progress into round four where they once again come across opposition from West Lothian. Bo’ness United are their opponents and they come to Arbroath on November 20.