Pre-season ends on a high

editorial image

ARBROATH rounded off their pre-season warm up campaign with a deserved 1-0 win over a Dundee United side at Gayfield on Tuesday night.

Just one goal courtesy of close season Lichties’ signing Daniel Rennie was enough to separate the two sides in what was a good all round performance.

And with the competitive season now finally upon us manager Paul Sheerin believes the game was the perfect way to prepare for tomorrow’s (Saturday) Challenge Cup tie away to Elgin.

He told the Herald after the game on Tuesday: “That performance is probably as good as it has been all pre-season, especially in the second half.

“You want to win every game but pre-season isn’t about results as such but that shows we are ready for the Challenge Cup.

“I think we have built up a reasonable squad now and had a few trialists over pre-season so there has been a bit of chopping and changing.

“But we look more settled now and have 16 signed players so we are getting there.

“It has been a long process and we hope to get another couple of players in.

“But I was happy with that tonight and it showed real encouragement.”

David Banjo and Alex Keddie, who both featured as trialists in Saturday’s victory over Keith, came back into the team for another game.

Also out trying to impress was defender Scott Robertson, who lists Queen of the South, Stirling Albion and Partick Thistle as former clubs.

The Lichties started strongly and proved they were a match for the SPL side.

In the opening stages Brian Kerr came close when he was played in by Sheerin but his long-range shot was tipped over the bar for a corner.

Soon after Steven Doris found space and was through on goal but his finish let him down as his effort went just wide.

But it wasn’t just one way traffic as on 35 minutes, Lichties’ ‘keeper Tony Bullock was called into action.

A cross in from Dale Hilson fell into the path of Jordan Moore but Bullock stood strong to deny his attempt.

On the stroke of half-time Rennie wasn’t far away with a close range effort after following up a Sheerin pass but Joe McGovern was on hand to save.

Half-time: Arbroath 0, Dundee United 0.

After the interval, Arbroath went searching for a goal to break the deadlock and only had to wait five minutes into the half.

RENNIE picked up a long ball played from defence and used his pace to go on a winding run.

And after rounding the ‘keeper he easily tapped the ball into an empty net.

Several changes were made throughout the second period and the introduction of Michael Travis nearly saw Arbroath double their lead.

He attempted a long-range effort but his shot cracked off the post in what was the last real chance of the game.

Arbroath: Bullock, Baxter, Brennan, Banjo, Robertson, Keddie, Rennie, Kerr, Holmes, Doris and Sheerin. Substitutes: Sibanda, Currie, Mair, Travis, Prince-Wright, Gribben and Hill (not used).

Dundee United: McGovern, Watson, Gilmour, Flood, McLean. Gunning, Hilson, Millar, Daly, Moore and Bell. Substitutes: Soutar and Russell.

Referee: Craig Charleston.

Attendance: 322.