Pearson and Jones strike as ACSC earn three vital points

ACSC have a break from league action tomorrow (Saturday) when they entertain St Mungo's in the national competition.
ACSC have a break from league action tomorrow (Saturday) when they entertain St Mungo's in the national competition.

Carnoustie YM 1, ACSC 2

ACSC were back on Premier League business at the weekend when they travelled to Carnoustie to take on the YM.

Again the ‘carrot’ for the players was that a win would take them back to the top of the league with St James who were without a fixture this week.

Manager Gunning stuck with the same formation as the previous week opting for only one change with R. Swan coming in to replace Gatrick who had been struck down by a bad case of ‘Man Flu’ all week.

The game kicked off in monsoon type conditions with the rain battering it down at a sodden Carlogie Park both teams finding the conditions difficult for any type of passing game.

It was Carnoustie who took the lead in controversial circumstances when the referee awarded a questionable free-kick to the home side at the edge of the 18-yard area.

The free kick was cleared by the ACSC defence only to be knocked back in and with the home team’s striker standing in an offside position he prodded the ball home from six yards.

To the away side’s amazement it was allowed and Carnoustie found themselves a goal to the good. The ACSC, as always, buckled down and began forcing the game without really testing the home goalkeeper failing to capitalise on numerous corners and shots from distance.

Carnoustie seemed happy to sit in and play on the break, ‘keeper Cargill dealing with a couple of speculative efforts from distance in the manner the away fans had become accustomed to. And it was Carnoustie that went into the break 1-0 up as the rain finally came to a halt.

Half-time: Carnoustie YM 1, ACSC 0.

Manager Gunning decided to make a change at half-time and introduced Lee ‘Jinkles’ Jones to the action.

This was to prove to be another moment of tactical genius from the gaffer as after great work from R. Gillespie, out wide, saw him feed Longmuir.

He cleverly dummied the ball for Jones who slotted home with a curling shot from just inside the 18-yard box.

The ACSC were dominating the game at this point and it wasn’t long before another of manager Gunning’s substitutions paid dividends and grabbed what proved to be the winner, Pearson latching onto an R. Gillespie square ball to knock it under the onrushing Carnoustie ‘keeper.

With 10 minutes to go Carnoustie tried to get back into the game but created little to trouble Cargill or the ACSC defence. In a desperate attempt to salvage something from the game the home boss brought himself on with five minutes to go, but it did nothing to change the final result as ACSC closed the game out.

This was another great three points on the road for an ACSC side which has now picked up three out of four victories away from home. In treacherous conditions and after falling behind so early the ACSC players stuck to the task and kept on prodding and probing the home defence, finally getting their just rewards for their efforts against a very hard working and organised Carnoustie YM team that contested every ball.

Tomorrow (Saturday), the players will have a break from league action and will take on St Mungos AFC from Bishopbriggs, near Glasgow in The Foster’s Scottish Cup at home.