Not vintage ACSC but safely through to third round

generic image'football
generic image'football

Tayside Fire Brigade 1, ACSC 3

ACSC travelled to Fairmuir Park on Saturday for a second round tie in the North of Tay Cup against Tayside Fire Brigade.

Manager Gunning resumed his role as manager after a three-week absence and decided to stick with the same team and formation (the first time he had been able to do this all season) that had produced such a fine display the previous week.

All the talk in the dressing room prior to the match was about the impending fancy dress smoker tomorrow (Saturday) with the players’ excitement levels reaching fever pitch about some of the costumes that would be on show.

The game started well for the Firies with the ACSC starting the more lethargic of the two. With not much being created in front of goal by either team the game was a little bogged down in midfield with the ACSC being more wasteful than usual in the key areas.

And the Fire Brigade found themselves a goal to the good when the striker latched onto a flick on by the big number four which found Gersok out of position and unable to prevent the home side’s striker lashing the ball into the top corner.

This seemed to spur the ACSC on obviously not wanting to relinquish their grip on the cup without a fight and they began getting in behind the home side’s defence. However, the final ball was still proving elusive.

On the 35 minute mark the ACSC finally levelled the scores when Ross side-stepped his marker and fired in a low shot from 20 yards which found the bottom corner. Game on. The game continued in the same manner with the ACSC pushing for another goal as the referee blew the whistle for half-time leaving the game finely poised.

Half-time: Tayside Fire Brigade 1, ACSC 1.

The second half started well for the ACSC and they were looking the more dangerous team going forward. The ACSC went in front when a ball in from Ross from the left wasn’t cleared by the home defence and after what can only be termed as a ‘stramash’ McDowell was first to react to the loose ball and nod home from a yard.

The home team didn’t give up though and came back at the ACSC looking for an equaliser and Cargill had to be alert and was down sharp to save a low angled drive from the home striker.

But it was the ACSC who effectively killed off the game when a searching ball from defence found R. Gillespie who had timed his run perfectly and the striker found himself one on one with the ‘keeper firing home from the angle from just inside the box.

The ACSC consolidated their lead following the goal, manager Gunning choosing to freshen things up for the remainder of the game with a number of substitutions. The referee blew for the final whistle soon after with the ACSC progressing safely to the third round.

Although not a vintage display from the away side, it was the result that mattered. The ACSC made sure that it their name that was in the hat for the draw for the third round with a hard fought victory against a TFB team that worked hard throughout and never gave up.

Sometimes you just need to win ugly and grind out a result and Saturday was a good example of that.

Tomorrow it will be back to league business for the ACSC and another important game for the players to look forward to.