Lichties are living the high life

Scott McBride and Bobby Linn celebrate against Queen's Park
Scott McBride and Bobby Linn celebrate against Queen's Park

Arbroath took to the field with same line up that faced Albion Rovers the previous week with David Crawford in goal with Michael Travis and Mark Whatley at right and left backs respectively.

Ali El-Zubiadi continued alongside Kevin Nicoll in the heart of defence with a midfield of Bobby Linn on the right, Scott McBride on the left with Adam Hunter and Kieran Stewart playing centrally with Kevin Buchan partnering Paul McManus up front.

New boy Jack Smith notches his first goal for the Lichties

New boy Jack Smith notches his first goal for the Lichties

It was a beautiful day in Airdrie and the large group of travelling Arbroath supporters knew a win would allow Arbroath to remain at the top of the League which would give the home derby against Montrose an extra layer of spice!

Arbroath kicked off the first half, and although both teams enjoyed long spells of possession in an evenly fought out 45 minutes, there really wasn’t a lot to trouble either keeper.

Darren Miller did have the ball in the back of the net for Queen’s Park but his effort was deemed to be offside.

Arbroath slightly edged possession but couldn’t really take advantage of the space and crossing opportunities they had from either wing.

Half-time : Queen’s Park 0, Arbroath 0.

For the statisticians out there, it probably has already been noted that since Kevin Nicoll moved into central defence against Berwick, Arbroath have yet to concede a goal and also all goals have been scored in the second half, would this continue?

Simon Murray had been put through his paces at half-time and the second half was only a few minutes old when Murray replaced Kevin Buchan and Craig Johnstone came on for Michael Travis, with Johnstone taking over at left-back and Mark Whatley moving over to right-back.

The substitutes seemed to inject some much-needed momentum and spark into the game and Arbroath started to look more dangerous. Paul McManus went close with a shot from outside the box then a well-executed volley from distance, before Queen’s Park had a good chance to strike from a set-piece.

Arbroath finally broke the deadlock when Bobby Linn swing in a cross from the left and Simon Murray headed it down into the path of Scott McBride, who managed to scramble to the ball before the keeper and defender and poke the ball over the line, even though the defender on the line made a diving effort.

This however did spur on Queen’s Park and they had their best spell of the game but lacked the cutting edge up front.

Arbroath, however, continued to press with Simon Murray adding a direct style of attacking which almost paid off as he had the ball in the back of the net but his effort was also deemed to be offside. With three minutes to go, Queen’s Park won another free-kick, this time 20 yards out from goal, but again failed to capitalise which allowed Linn to sprint out of his half with the ball at this feet for 50 yards before finding Scott McBride on the left, who passed the ball back into the box and substitute Jack Smith fired in Arbroath’s second goal.

Lichties boss Allan Moore said afterwards: “I don’t beat about the bush and I came here to win the league.

“We’re in this together and as I’ve said to the boys, ‘If anyone asks if you are going to win the league, don’t say you might win it. Say you will and believe in yourselves’.”