Goalmouth puddle and referee have their say in vital clash

Riverside 2, ACSC 0

ACSC travelled to South Road, then to Lochee Park for a game against Riverside in The George Buckman Premier League on Saturday.

Even after they had arrived at Lochee Park there appeared still to be uncertainty among both Riverside’s players, ACSC players and the referee as to what park the game would take place on.

The referee finally concluded that the game would go ahead on the park with the big puddle at the goalmouth, the puddle would have a say in the outcome of the game.

The ACSC lined up in a 3-5-2 formation with Graham coming in for Grovez and McKenzie starting in favour of R. Swan on the right. These were the only changes to the team from the previous week.

ACSC started brightly and carved out the first real chance of the game with Gillespie striking the post from an angled drive from 18 yards. Gatrick, McDowell and Jones all had strikes from distance either well saved or that flashed just wide as the ACSC more than matched their opponents in an evenly contested opening spell.

Riverside appeared to be getting the benefit of a number of decisions from the referee and had a number of soft free kicks given which they floated into the box only for the ACSC defence to deal comfortably with them.

However, Riverside went ahead about 30 minutes into the game when a cross from the right fizzed across the ACSC box where McKenzie got a good tackle in sending the ball heading out for a corner to safety. However the ball rolled into the aforementioned puddle which held it up allowing Riverside’s striker to tap home.

Gersok was then to receive his marching orders for a second yellow leaving McDowell to slot back into a back three and Gillespie dropping into the hole. However, ACSC still looked well in the game as it went into the break with the home side a goal to the good.

Half-time: Riverside 1, ACSC 0.

The second half started well for the ACSC and they were looking the more threatening of the two teams for a good 15 to 20 minute spell, Riverside looking slightly uneasy at the back.

Gatrick came close from the edge of the box after a succession of corners seeing his shot go perilously close. Riverside then had a chance saved by Cargill in the goal to keep ACSC in it, but the killer blow came when 70 minutes in when Riverside’s striker got in behind the ACSC defence and nipped the ball into the back of the net ahead of Cargill.

Despite this ACSC continued to try to get back into the game but were finding it difficult to create anything of real note.

However with five to go the ACSC had a perfectly good goal chopped off as Gall nipped in front of an opposition defender and prodded the ball into the goal.

Everyone on the park knew it was a goal except for the referee. Riverside knew it was goal, ACSC knew it was goal, everyone knew it was a goal. Enough said!

The game fizzled out after this Riverside seeing out the game.

A good performance from the ACSC in another evenly contested game between the pair.

Who knows what would’ve happened had the ACSC goal been allowed to stand as it rightly should have, but that’s the breaks.

Riverside took full advantage of theirs on the day with the help of a very poor refereeing performance and fair play to them. As for effort the players were faultless.

This weekend is likely to be another league game and if the players show the same commitment and maybe a bit more quality in certain areas they’ll again be hard to beat.