Elgin City 2-0 Arbroath: Halloween horror in Highlands

Photo - Graham H Black
Photo - Graham H Black

Arbroath returned to action on Saturday as they travelled north to face Elgin City but came back from Moray empty-handed.

The form and the goals of Bobby Linn had secured four wins from the lastfive league games.

However a rare injury forced Linn to miss out and the misery was compounded for the Lichties as injury ruled out Darren Ramsay.

The game was only six minutes old when Elgin striker Gunn latched onto an Arbroath clearance from a goal kick.

The prolific hitman turned before releasing McKenzie who then crossed into the box finding Gunn, who turned and struck the ball past Fleming to give Elgin the early lead.

However the Arbroath players ran over to contest the decision with the far side linesman, as Easton who was standing offside tried to take the credit by tapping Gunn’s shot over the line.

Arbroath survived a scare just 60 seconds later as Cameron at the rear post found Gunn, who headed the ball off the Arbroath bar.

There was a lengthy stop in play as Ryan and Gordon received treatment after a nasty clash of heads.

Arbroath’s best chance came after a fine move by Johnstone, Grehan and Ryan who cut the ball back, but as Cameron intercepted, Gold won back possession with Whatley striking the ball from 19 yards, forcing keeper Hurst to palm it away.

As Arbroath pressed a bullet header from Ricky Little just skimmed the top of the bar as they tried to find an equaliser.

The woodwork yet again denied Gunn twice in the opening exchanges of a fast paced second half.

A lighting quick reactive strike hit the post before a scissor kick hit bounced off the bar from a corner kick.

Arbroath were missing the width that Linn and Ramsay normally provide but a header by Little and another long range strike by Whatley came closest for the Lichties.

Allan Fleming had kept Arbroath in the game, but his best was yet to come as he pulled off a stunning save from McLaren’s long range effort.

Elgin finally did double their lead, despite more than a hint of offside again.

The ball was dinked forward to Gunn who was ahead of defenders Johnstone, Munro and Little.

Gunn himself actually stopped running as he expected to see the flag to be raised for offside, but when it didn’t come, he chased down the ball crossing it for Cameron who ran in and headed past Fleming.

With Elgin having only conceded two goals at home all season they have turned Borough Briggs a fortress.

Arbroath return to action this weekend when they host East Fife at Gayfield.