Dons too strong for young Lichties

Arbroath 1, Aberdeen 5

ARBROATH under-19s were unable to overcome a strong Aberdeen side in the Scottish Youth Cup at Gayfield on Sunday and went down 5-1.

In truth though the young Dons were far from at their best and the scoreline was harsh on an Arbroath side which competed well throughout the contest.

But despite the result under-19s’ coach Mark Anderson was full of praise for his players’ work rate.

He said: “I felt we worked so hard and stuck to our system well but to give away three penalties and soft goals against any team let alone one with as much quality as Aberdeen is always going to be tough.

“5-1 was hard to take as we had matched them for long periods of the game but credit to Aberdeen and we wish them well in the next round.”

The home side was well up for it and started strongly. Jake Mair hooked a shot just wide in the opening minute.

On three minutes a mistake by Storie let in the same player and his shot went inches wide with Rogers at full stretch.

The Dons then took the lead on the quarter hour mark.

Craig Duguid played an excellent ball down the left channel for O’Sullivan to chase.

The striker did well to beat the ‘keeper to the ball and when he tried to round Gray he was taken down.

The referee pointed straight to the spot and booked the ‘keeper. Captain O’NEILL took the responsibility and stepped up and put ‘keeper Gray the wrong way.

Just before the half hour mark Duguid took a long throw in which found McMANUS at the near post and he managed to squeeze the ball into the net to put the Dons two up.

The home side deserve credit as they kept working away and Craig Murray did very well at the back post to stop Mair.

In the closing stages of the half Marcus Watt for the Lichties had a shot well saved by Rogers.

Half-time: Arbroath 0, Aberdeen 2.

Straight after the break Aberdeen looked livelier with better movement and they made the game safe on 47 minutes.

O’Neill found space then played a brilliant through ball for O’SULLIVAN who finished well.

The home side kept going, though, and their fitness levels were impressive for a part-time side.

And they got their reward when a free kick was played in, none of the Aberdeen players attacked the ball and Gordon RAMSAY was able to put the ball past Rogers who had no chance.

Cammy Smith for the Dons then missed another good chance but just after that he played it perfectly for substitute Campalie who put the ball across the ‘keeper to score with a good finish.

In the final minute Campalie fired in a shot which hit Nick Mann on the arm and the ref awarded another spot kick.

This time SMITH stepped up and although the ‘keeper managed to get a hand on his spot kick the ball found the net.

Arbroath: Gray, McWalter, Ramsay, Findlater, Boyd, Connolly, Watt, Fullerton (Mann 60), Birse (Adam 26), Mair (Geekie 78) and Robertson. Not used: Mackie and Chalmers.