Dokens just edge it in Laing Park friendly.

Carnoustie Panmure 2, Dundee North End 3

WITH Forfar West End unfortunately going into abeyance, the Gowfers were left with a free week after the rescheduling.

Dundee North End were also without a game, so a friendly at Laing Park was hastily arranged.

The Gowfers kicked off with a strong wind at their backs, but it was the Dokens who had the first chance, with Evans firing in a low drive, which McCafferty managed to save.

It was then Carnoustie’s turn when Roberts ran on to a through ball from Hendry and hit a shot from all of 35 yards, but Lee brought off a good save to keep the scoresheet blank. Lee made another good save a minute later when he touched a Milne cross over the bar. Carnoustie couldn’t make anything of the corner.

In seven minutes the Gowfers went ahead through ROBERTSON when his ball into the goalmouth was missed by everybody and it rolled over the line. The same player nearly added a second five minutes later with a fierce shot which Lee saved well.

A good move between North End’s McNaughton and Hutchison was stopped by Hendry who stepped in to clear well. At the other end, Carnoustie’s Milne tried an overhead kick but, although it was on target, it went straight into Lee’s arms.

On the half-hour mark Evans had a great chance to level when he ran on to a through ball but, ,just as he was about to shoot, Hendry put in a great saving tackle and cleared the ball. Evans limped off three minutes later to be replaced by Garner.

In 38 minutes the Dokens levelled things, when MUCKERSIE fired in a great shot from the edge of the box, past McCafferty and in off the post.

Half-time: Carnoustie Panmure 1, Dundee North End 1.

Both sides made changes before the second half got under way, with Millar making way for Tonner for the Gowfers, and Nicoll and Flynn replacing O’Neill and Hutchison, for the Dokens.

From the kick-off, the visitors surged upfield and Muckersie whipped a fierce cross across the face of McCafferty’s goal, but Matthew managed to clear the ball to safety.

The Gowfers made another change, with Clark replacing McIlravey. In 52 minutes, the Dokens took the lead, when a corner was only half cleared, and HOY fired into the roof of the net.

Carnoustie made another change, with new boy McLaren making way for Narey. They had a great chance 10 minutes later when Gates made a great run up the left and fired in a low cross, but Bannon just managed to get to the ball before Milne.

The Gowfers eventually got back on level terms in 65 minutes when, after another great run by Gates, his cross was met by ROBERTS who scored from close range.

The Dokens made another change with Muckersie going off for Njie. The same player then came close when he ran on to a through ball, but McCafferty narrowed the angle well and the shot went just past the post.

A minute later the Dokens took the lead again. McNaughton fed a ball through to GARNER and his shot was fired past McCafferty into the net. The final 10 minutes were played out and, a lacklustre display meant that the Gowfers had been beaten by a workman-like side which plays two divisions below them.


Carnoustie Panmure: McCafferty, Matthew, Robertson, Roberts, Millar (Tonner 45), Hendry, McIlravey (Clark 48), McLaren (Narey 59), Perera, Milne and Gates. Substitute not used: Christie.

Dundee North End: Lee, Bannon, Stewart, O’Neill (Nicoll 45), Gowans, Hutchison (Flynn 45), Glennie, McNaughton, Muckersie (Njie 66), Evans (Garner 33) and Hoy. Substitute not used: McComiskie.

Referee: Mr Gordon Crawford.

Tomorrows match

Tomorrow (Saturday), the Gowfers travel to Murrayfield Park to meet Lothian side Blackburn United in the second round of the Emirates Scottish Junior Cup.

The sides have met before in the ‘Scottish’, in the same round and at the same venue, in 1999, where a last minute Ronnie Kenneth goal gave Carnoustie a draw.

In the replay, the following week, extra time was needed before the Gowfers ran out 4-1 winners.

Kick-off is at 2.30 p.m. A supporters’ club bus leaves Stag’s Head at 11 a.m.