Club narrowly lose out

Lads’ Club 2, Cardonald Thistle 3

CARDONALD Thistle were the visitors in the last 16 of the Under-14s Scottish Cup clash at Victoria Park.

Lads’ Club had concerns over the fitness of Beattie prior to kick-off. However he was in place in the starting 11. Wilson had called off sick and was replaced at right-back by Bastow.

Cardonald started brightly and were a constant threat to the home defence and it was no surprise after numerous missed chances that they went ahead on 12 minutes.

However the Lads’ Club players’ heads never went down. They continued to battle away and as the half progressed they became stronger. After a surging run from Beattie, who was a constant thorn in the Cardonald side, he forged forward and struck a low drive forcing the ‘keeper to make a desperate save. He couldn’t hold the ball though and LIGHTFOOT was on hand to bury his spill into the back of the net to equalise on 26 minutes.

Half-time: Lads’ Club 1, Cardonald Thistle 1.

With the wind at their backs Lads’ Club were confident and took the game to Cardonald. This was turning into a more even tie now and the opposition’s discipline was beginning to slip with the referee having to speak to both players and coaches.

The home side was forced into a change with Bastow coming off to be replaced by Mowatt. However, they continued to attack Cardonald and were playing some great football. The visitors’ attacking force was evident when they came close on a couple of occasions and eventually broke through to make it 2-1 with a long bursting run from their number 18 Scott Patterson.

Undettered, the Lads’ Club continued to attack with some great wing play from Clark and Paterson. It was one of these runs from the latter that forced the Cardonald defender into a lunge which saw Club awarded a well deserved penalty. Beattie stood up to take only to find his drive strike the post and go wide for a goal kick.

This failed to dampen the home spirits and BEATTIE eventually got his reward, linking well with Lightfoot to drive forward and finished to make it 2-2.

The game was ebbing from end to end. However, Club were dealt a cruel blow when a seemingly accidental challenge resulted in goalkeeper Millar being carried off with a gaping wound in the his knee. He was replaced in goal by Waddell.

With extra-time looming, this tie could have gone either way and it was yet another run from deep inside his own half from their no 11 to drive past the ‘keeper and send Cardonald Thistle into the quarter-finals.

Although bitterly disappointed at going out of the national competition, this squad of boys can be rightly proud of their success so far this season. To reach the last 16 for the second season in a row is a great achievement.

Once again the squad entertained their guests at the Cricket Club. Managers Waddell and Paterson have extended their thanks to all of the parents for supplying the catering once again for their cup run. Gratitude is also extended to Gary, Neil and Lesley Burnett for the full use of the Cricket Club facilities.