ASC strike late to grab a share of derby spoils

editorial image

THE SECOND league derby of the season took place at on Saturday when Vics and ASC met at Ogilvy Park.

A rather lacklustre opening to the match provided little in the way of goalmouth action with ASC having a shot by Mark McDonald blocked by Gavin Norrie, while Vics had two claims for a penalty turned aside with both teams cancelling each other out.

However, the first real move of the match led to Vics taking the lead in the 14th minute. Ryan Owbridge gathered a Craig Sturrock throw and played the ball up to the by-line for Ryan Low. He cut the ball back from the left, where Colin Lawson unselfishly laid it off to LEE JONES who side-footed the ball beyond Shaun Logie from six yards.

At the other end, a Kevin Durno clearance cannoned off the body of Sam McDonald and ran into the box, but Steve Reid was out quickly, diving to save at the feet of Andrew Millar before the ASC player could get in a shot.

A Lee Jones free kick into the ASC box was only partially cleared as far as Durno, who knocked it back into the danger area, but Danny McKenzie had strayed into an offside position and the chance was lost.

Michael Stewart put ASC on the attack with a good ball down the right for Brian Scrimgeour who helped it on to Andrew Millar. He in turn squared the ball across the box for S. McDonald, but he steered his shot wide of the target.

Durno found his name in the referee’s book for dissent in the 28th minute.

Eight minutes later, Vics might have added to their lead when David McLeish knocked the ball back into the box after a Lee Jones free kick had been headed out and McKenzie got to it first, only to scoop his shot over the bar.

Craig Brown was then yellow-carded for pulling back McKenzie as he tried to break through the ASC defence.

In the 42nd minute, Colin Lawson whipped over a cross from the right, which was just too strong for Low, and although he managed to make contact with the ball with his head by diving forward, he could only nod it wide of the far post.

Half-time: Arbroath Vics 1, Arbroath SC 0.

ASC had the first attempt of the second half when Steven Fallon broke forward from midfield, but his parting shot was high and wayward as it sailed over the bar.

Vics responded with Owbridge nodding a Lawson cross across to the far side of the box, where Low, coming in, sent a shot past the post.

ASC almost drew level a couple of minutes later when S. McDonald got on the end of a Scrimgeour free kick only to see his header flash over the bar.

Norrie became the second Vics player to be shown a yellow card for a reckless challenge on Darren Gray.

Midway through the half, Logie had difficulty holding onto a Jones free kick, spilling the ball inside the six yard box, but he made amends by springing to his feet quickly to block Sturrock’s follow-up.

Two minutes later, Low headed a Jones corner goalwards and although his effort eluded Logie, it was nodded off the line at the far post. Soon after, Low was replaced by Garry Warren.

Owbridge then saw a shot blocked away for a corner before ASC made a double substitution, sending on Terry Gray and Liam Neil for Gray and Andrew Millar.

T. Gray was soon in action, firing in a long-range effort, which took an awkward bounce in front of Reid, with the ‘keeper doing well to get his body behind the ball to hold onto it.

With 77 minutes played both teams made further changes, Vics sending on Matthew Gove for McKenzie and ASC replacing M. McDonald with Sean McVicar.

Matthew Gove had barely entered the field of play when he was booked for swiping the feet away from Terry Gray.

With 10 minutes left, Vics had a great chance to add to their lead when Owbridge broke forward and through the ASC defence and into the box, but he allowed himself to be closed down with McKenzie and Jones waiting for him to square the ball across for what would have been a tap-in.

ASC kept pushing for an equaliser and just when it looked as if Vics were to hold on for the win they grabbed a goal in the 88th minute. Sturrock gave away a free kick out on the right, which saw him booked and when Beith swung the ball into the box, SAM McDONALD came racing in at the back post to bullet a header into the back of the net.

A minute later, ASC came close to grabbing a winner when Liam Neil fired in a shot, which looked netbound, but it struck the inside of the post and flew across the face of goal. Sean McVicar was first to the rebound, but Reid got good hands to his shot to turn it over the bar.

Deep into stoppage time, Scimgeour found his name in the referee’s book for talking out of a turn before the referee ended the match, with a point apiece not really helping either side’s promotion hopes.


Arbroath Vics: Reid, McLeish, Johnston, Norrie, Durno, Sturrock, Low (Warren 67), Lawson, Owbridge, Jones, McKenzie (Gove 77). Unused subs: Laing, Pearson, Brown and Duncan, gk.

ASC: Logie, Stewart, Fallon, Brown, Mudie, M. McDonald (McVicar 77), Gray (T. Gray 72), Scrimgeour, Beith, Millar (Neil 72), S. McDonald. Unused subs: Gersok and McAvoy.

Referee: Mr. S. Leslie (Brechin).

Berrypickers away

Tomorrow (Saturday), Vics are away to Blairgowrie in the league. Kick-off is at 2.30 p.m. and players should meet at Ogilvy Park at 12.15 p.m.

ASC are also away from home travelling to meet Kirrie Thistle. Kick-off for this match is also 2.30 p.m.

Vics 150 Club

Winners this week were: £10 – No. 155, Irene Robertson; £5 – No. 97, Donna Ritchie.

East Region North District League

P W D L F A Pts

Downfield 17 11 3 3 44 24 36

Montrose Roselea 16 11 2 3 33 17 35

Dundee NE 15 10 1 4 41 25 31

Dundee Violet 16 10 1 5 38 24 31

Blairgowrie 17 9 2 6 49 33 29

Arbroath Vics 17 8 4 5 35 26 28

Arbroath SC 15 7 4 4 33 23 25

Kirrie Thistle 13 5 5 3 33 27 20

Forfar Albion 17 3 4 10 28 45 13

Brechin Vics 15 3 3 9 21 38 12

East Craigie 16 3 3 10 20 39 12

Lochee Harp 11 3 1 7 13 23 10

Coupar Angus 17 1 1 15 15 60 4