Arbroath Vics lose out to Fife outfit

Vics 30/04/16
Vics 30/04/16

Having won away at Newburgh the previous week, Arbroath Vics again had Fife opposition on Saturday when they played host to promotion hopefuls Glenrothes.

It took Vics nine minutes to fashion out an opening when Abdourahman Njie picked up on a slack pass to send the ball on for Ryan Lewis to swap passes with Jamie Thomson before it was played across for Josh Chalmers to send a 20 yard drive flying over the bar.

Despite that, Glenrothes looked the more likely and when Aidan Anderson head flicked a long ball through Vics defence, Iain Griffin was on to it quickly, but his parting shot skipped past the post.

The away side continued to hold the upper hand and eventually took the lead in the 23rd minute.

Robert Smith played the ball in from the left, where JOHN MARTIN gathered it in before turning to send in a shot, which Alex Cargill got hands to but the ball looped back over his head and dropped in just under the bar.

Less than a minute into the second period, Vics had a great chance to get back on level terms.

Dale Riddell sent a long ball forward, which eluded the Glenrothes defence and Abdourahman Njie advanced into the box and took it round the keeper, only to see his shot blocked on the six-yard line.

Within a couple of minutes however, Vics found themselves two goals behind. Stephen Forbes flighted over a corner, which Alex Cargill couldn’t get to and IAIN GRIFFIN guided a header into the far corner.

Jamie Thomson tested Jack Small with a low drive from distance, which the keeper got down to save, but in the 51st minute, Glenrothes grabbed a third.

Scott Napier sent the ball down the left for Robert Smith to chase and when he pulled the ball back from the by-line, CALLUM KINNES threw himself forward to send a header bouncing in off the post.

Vics kept plugging away and were rewarded with a goal in the 65th minute. RIKKI GILLESPIE cut in from the left and curled a shot beyond the reach of Jack Small and into the far corner.

The Fife side’s three goal advantage was almost regained two minutes later when Callum Kinnes met a Daryl Falconer cross on the volley inside the box, but his effort crashed back down off the underside of the bar.

Glenrothes finished the match the stronger of the two sides and extended their lead in the 79th minute. Stephen Forbes sent over a corner from the left and SCOTT NAPIER was allowed to rise unchallenged to guide a header into the net.

The scoring still wasn’t completed as five minutes from the end Glenrothes extended their lead further when Alex Cargill failed to cut out a Daryl Falconer cut-back and CALLUM KINNES saw his shot take a deflection on its way into the net.