Arbroath Vics 2-1 Forfar Albion

Vics v Forfar
Vics v Forfar

Arbroath Vics were the victors of an Angus derby when they beat struggling Forfar Albion 2-1.

Having exited the Scottish Junior Cup at the hands of Dundonald Bluebell the previous week, it was back to the business of collecting league points.

Vics were first to show with Corey McCulloch sending the ball up the left to Scott Donald who pulled it back from the by-line to set up Dale Riddell, but he took too long to get his shot away and Scott Brown got in a foot to clear.

Riddell came closer to opening the scoring in Vics’ next attack when he got on the end of a Rikki Gillespie corner, but his header spun wide of the far post.

Riddell sent Abdourahman Njie away and the striker rolled the ball into the box for Scott Donald, but his shot deflected into the side net for a corner which the Albion defence easily dealt with.

Scott Donald passed up Vics’ best chance so far when he blazed his shot over the bar from 15 yards after a fine move had set up the opening.

Riddell was bundled over just a few yards outside the box and Gillespie’s low free-kick produced a good save from Josh Allardyce.

Josh Allardyce was proving difficult to beat, and he again showed his worth when he beat away a stinging drive from McCulloch in the 35th minute.

Vics thought they had opened the scoring when Njie turned the ball in from close range but the referee disallowed it for offside.

Just when it looked as if the half would finish level, Vics took the lead with an own goal in the 41st minute.

A Gillespie corner bounced around the box before Njie knocked it towards goal and Graeme Gibb turned it into his own net as he attempted to clear.

Vics were quickly on the offensive after the break with Corey McCulloch sending Abdourahman Njie racing through the Albion defence, but Josh Allardyce stuck out a foot to block away the number ten’s shot.

Play was mainly in and around the Albion box and when Gillespie worked a Matty Johnston cross back to Chalmers his shot was blocked on the line by the foot of goalkeeper Allardyce.

With five minutes left, Albion got back on level terms: Keiran Steel sent a low free-kick in from the left-hand edge of the box and James Dunn reacted quickest to stab it in at the near post.

Parity only lasted a couple of minutes however before Vics edged back in front, Njie converting a penalty after a handball was awarded.

Vics are out of town this Saturday when they travel to meet Brechin Vics in the league.

Kick-off is at 2pm and transport leaves Ogilvy Park at 12.15pm.