ACSC’s home comforts


After three defeats on the bounce, ACSC took on local rivals AHSFP on Saturday at Hercules Den in a George Buckman Premier League match.

The teams had already met twice this year, with ACSC winning both encounters in fairly comfortable fashion 1-0 and 2-1.

Talk in the dressing room prior to the match was all about the Grand National, eyes turning to Scotty ‘Horse’ Mattheson for inside tips on race day.

Manager Longmuir had added to the squad bringing in Liam Campbell, whose 
previous clubs included 
Arbroath Victoria JFC to 
bolster numbers.

Longmuir decided to go with a traditional 4-4-2 formation: Smith, Gersok, Mattheson and McCulloch making up the back four, with McKenzie, McDowell, Gatrick and Campbell in the engine room and Jones and Gillespie providing a real threat up top.

AHSFP had the first real chance – and some might say their only real chance of the game – when a deep cross from the right evaded Gersok at the back post, reaching the FPs’ striker, whose first touch evaded him at the critical 
moment, allowing Cargill in goal to mop up with ease.

However, soon it was the 
ACSC show, with chance 
after chance being created by the home side, who seemed full of energy.

It was if the ACSC side 
prior to Christmas had 
suddenly reappeared and woken from their slumber.

ACSC were pressing all over the park and were 
coming out on top in the 
majority of clashes. It was 
surprising that it took so long for them to open their account with Jones and Gillespie 
terrorising the FPs’ defence.

The first goal came from their new signing, Campbell, after Jones left his marker for dead before he laid the ball into the path of Campbell, who gave ACSC a well-
deserved lead.

ACSC created a number of other fine opportunities before the half was out, with Gatrick, Gillespie and Jones all coming close, but the score remained 1-0 going into the break.

Manager Longmuir had a few words of caution going into the second half on their slim lead.

But after the break ACSC continued to dominate proceedings, with the FP’s team seemingly unable to cope with the tempo of the match.

The second goal arrived when McKenzie supplied a pass to Jones, who slotted beyond the helpless FPs’ ‘keeper.

Goal number three came after Gillespie was played through by McDowell – and after driving in on goal he 
finished with aplomb.

ACSC are now second in the league, five points behind St James with a game in hand, while AHSFP could get drawn into a relegation battle if they are not careful.

As for the ACSC, the must now make sure that they 
carry this same attitude into the next league game against Carnoustie on Saturday to pick up another three points to put them closer to leaders St James.

Who knows what could yet happen? With midweek games to come, there are bound to be plenty twists and turns as the league campaign reaches its climax.