ACSC left to rue missed chances as they exit Scottish Cup

ACSC 0, St Mungos 2

ACSC took on St Mungos AFC from Bishopbriggs in the third round of the Fosters Scottish Cup on Saturday at The Den.

ACSC knew that they were in for a tough afternoon, St Mungos playing in the Caledonian League the same league as Westerlands AFC (the last team to beat the ACSC at The Den). However, the ACSC were confident going into the game that they could get the victory having strengthened the squad since last year.

Manager Gunning made a few enforced changes before the game due to a number of reasons with Smith replacing Grovez at full-back, McKenzie coming in for Swan and Spurek returning from a long absence to replace Ross.

ACSC started the game well, starting with a high tempo and moving the ball with purpose, Longmuir coming close with an early shot from distance after nice work up the right. St Mungos, though, came back at the home side and began to take control of the midfield areas the ACSC struggling to keep the ball with the away side pressing well all over the park.

Despite taking the initiative the away side weren’t really troubling Cargill in the goal. However the away side was to take the lead after a free kick was conceded around the 35-yard mark. The ball was lobbed into the box where Graham powered a header clear of the box only to met by the St Mungos defender who volleyed the ball beyond Cargill and into the goal.

The visitors pushed for a second before the break but the ACSC stood firm ensuring that they went into the break just the one down.

Half-time: ACSC 0, St Mungos 1.

Manager Gunning changed the formation at half-time feeling that they were being a little over-run in the middle of the park. And the change in formation made a difference as ACSC found themselves on the front foot for much of the second half creating a number of chances in front of goal.

Spurek, Gersok, Pearson and Spurek again all saw their efforts saved or wasted as the ACSC pushed for the equaliser.

But they were to be hit with a sucker punch with 15 minutes to go. A loose backpass gave St Mungos their first corner of the second half and the big number four rose highest to knock down a header which the visitors’ striker was first to react to smashing the ball high into the net. A poor goal to lose from the home side’s point of view.

The ACSC never gave up though and continued to push for a goal that would get them back into the game but the away side’s ‘keeper dealt well with anything that came his way. The referee signalled the end of the match not long after with the away side progressing to the next round of the Scottish Cup.

Congratulations to St Mungos on their win and the club wishes them all the best in the forthcoming round(s) of the competition.

The ACSC players may be reflecting on what might’ve been had they taken their chances on a day when that really was the difference between the two sides.

Tomorrow (Saturday) it is back to league business for the ACSC with another important three points at stake and although it was a disappointing result for the home side today it’s not the end of the world.