ACSC are three and easy as they stay in hunt for the title


With the ACSC’s game against Carnoustie YM being the only game in the George Buckman Premier Division at the weekend it was a chance for the ACSC to close to within two points of the leaders 
St James having played the same number of games.

Manager Longmuir was forced to shuffle his pack again and brought in a number of the promising younger players from the second team; Hardie, M. Swan and Gunning more than meriting their call-ups after all their hard work at training in recent weeks.

The ACSC started well looking sharper than their counterparts and created a few early openings through fine play from the versatile Gatrick and the ever-present Gillespie, who both came close early on with shots which flashed across goal.

Both strikers were providing a real threat for the ACSC and the first goal was to come after some more fine play resulted in Campbell being released up the left and he in turn fed Gatrick, who headed back across goal for Gunning to score his first goal for the first team after not long coming on to replace the injured McKenzie.

This seemed to stir Carnoustie into life, and with the strong prevailing wind behind them, they enjoyed a series of corners and some sustained pressure.

The ACSC defence stood firm, however, dealing well with the torrid conditions and limited Carnoustie to very 
few clear-cut chances.

H-T: ACSC 1, Carnoustie 0.

The second half started comfortably enough for the ACSC, who now had the strong wind behind them. Despite being comfortable enough, it was important to get the second goal to kill off any thoughts of a Carnoustie comeback. A number of chances were spurned, allowing Carnoustie to come more into the game.

The ACSC survived a couple of nervy moments, with Smith clearing one off the line from a header from a corner before the points were secured on the 70-minute mark when manager Longmuir, who had brought himself on after an injury to Gunning sealed the points after a Carnoustie defender misjudgded a header allowing Longmuir to steal in behind, bring the ball down on his chest and swivel and volley from 30 yards to find the back of the net.

The cherry was put on the cake soon after when Longmuir fed Campbell on an overlapping run and he finished well at the near post to score his second for the club in as many games.

With 10minutes remaining, Carnoustie got a consolation goal after their big defender atoned for his earlier mistake with a rocket-like free-kick from 25 yards that left Cargill with no chance in the goal.

F-T: ACSC 3, Carnoustie 1.

It was a comfortable enough victory for the ACSC, who looked dangerous on the break and defended resolutely in the first half against the conditions. At times it wasn’t pretty, but the result once again was what mattered and the ACSC now go to within two points of St James at the top end of the table.

St James and Riverside are still undoubtedly the favourites for the title but the ACSC may still have a part to play in the destination of the George Buckman Premier League trophy and must continue to take one game at a time. Next up is Riverside.