Tragic pool boy dies after four days in hospital

editorial image

A DUNDEE youngster who was injured in an accident at a popular Arbroath pool on Saturday tragially died yesterday (Wednesday).

The boy, named as six-year-old Aidan Sands from Beauly Avenue, Dundee, passed away in Ninewells Hospital at around midday on Wednesday.

Thomas Hay, the grandfather of the Mill o’ Mains primary pupil, issued a short statement on behalf of his parents.

He said, “Six-year-old Aidan Sands died today after failing to recover from his injuries at Ninewells Hospital intensive care ward in the loving arms of his parents Mandy Sands and Kevin Yule.

“Aidan was involved in an incident at the Red Lion holiday park on Saturday afternoon.

“His parents would like to thank the gentleman who assisted Aidan at the poolside with first aid and CPR and the ambulance team and officers of Tayside Police who assisted in getting Aidan to Ninewells hospital as quickly as possible.

“Also to the nursing staff and doctors at Ward 20 intensive care ward at Ninewells for their first class care given to Aidan during his stay in hospital.

“The family would now like time to grieve in peace at this most difficult time.”

At around 3 p.m. Aidan is thought to have suffered some form of medical episode while using the facilities at the Red Lion Holiday Park on the outskirts of Arbroath.

His mother spotted him at the bottom of the pool, whereupon he was pulled unconscious from the water.

First aid was given by members of the public prior to the arrival of paramedics.

One witness, Carlyn Dargie from Friockheim, explained what she saw: “I was swimming with my daughter and we hadn’t been in long when I heard this woman yelling that her boy wasn’t breathing.”

According to Carlyn, Aidan’s mother carried her injured son from the pool to the reception, obviously distraught and asking for help.

Carlyn continued: “She carried him all the way to reception, but no one seemed to know what to do.”

Carlyn and another man, described only as Mike, attended the child and began administering first aid at the scene.

She added: “I started giving CPR with this guy Mike working alongside, and the wee boy was being sick, but he wasn’t breathing.

“It seemed to take ages before the doctor turned up, but I was told later that it was only about five or six minutes.”

Carlyn does not regularly visit the Red Lion pool, and it was purely by chance that she was on site and able to render assistance.

Her mother-in-law, Evelyn, said that her family was “very proud” that she had been able to help.

A spokesperson for Angus Council said that officers from the council’s environmental health section are continuing with their enquiries.