Stay clear of Keptie Pond

editorial image
0
Have your say

Angus Council has issued a warning for the public to avoid contact with algae-filled water at Keptie Pond.

A council spokesperson said: “Recent sampling has identified high levels of blue-green algae and until the all clear is given we are asking visitors to avoid contact with the water and keep their pets away. Contact can cause harmful effects such as rashes, vomiting, diarrhoea, muscle or joint pain and can be severe. When in high concentrations in the water this naturally occurring algae can multiply to cause algal blooms which may then release toxins. The behaviour of algae is erratic and the levels of its toxicity can fluctuate. It can appear one day, be dispersed by the wind and re-accumulate at any time. We are monitoring the situation closely and putting up notices around the pond to advise the public. If anyone has any concerns, please contact ACCESSLine on 08452 777 778.”