Open steak sandwiches
1kg beef sirloin
4tbsp whipping cream
2tbsp creme fraiche
2tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 horseradish root, grated
12 slices rye bread
6 cornichons (gherkins), sliced
1 shallot, sliced
Walnut oil, to drizzle
1 lemon, half zested and all juiced
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/Gas Mark 5.
2. Season the beef generously with salt and pepper.
3. In an ovenproof pan on a high heat, sear the beef on all sides. Place the pan in the oven for 17 minutes, or until the desired pinkness is achieved.
4. Beat the whipping cream in a mixing bowl until fairly stiff.
Add a dollop of creme fraiche and the Dijon mustard.
5. Mix thoroughly.
6. Mix the horseradish root with the cream and creme fraiche.
7. Add a pinch of salt and mix to combine. Then slice the rye bread.
8. Slice the beef finely and evenly.
9. Then, layer the sliced beef, horseradish creme, shallots and cornichons onto the rye bread slices.
9. Drizzle with walnut oil and lemon juice, chop up the fresh chives and sprinkle on top.
10. Add a final grating of lemon zest.