Old Kirk/ACCESS Office

The Old Parish Church, or Old Kirk, on Kirk Square is an imposing Gothic church by John J. Burnet, built between 1894 and 96.

It is in fact two structures, being symbiotically attached to the western Georgian Gothic steeple, which was built in 1831 by John Henderson.

A church has stood on this site since 1590, originally incorporated into the wall of the abbey precinct and was altered and extended in 1761.

The western steeple incorporates some features of the original structure, and is all that remains following a devastating fire in 1892 which necessitated the creation of the current building.

In 1990 the congregation of the Old Kirk merged with Abbey Church and the Old Kirk stood empty until 1992 when Angus Council had it converted into office space as an ACCESS office.

An interesting feature of the Old Kirk is the east gable of the nave which is still dominated by three tall lancet stained glass windows.

The eastern gallery carries the coat of arms of the Allan Frasers of Hospitalfield, as well as the Royal Burgh of Arbroath heraldry topped by an angelic figure called ‘Faith’ flanked by two knights.