A former church at the Fit o’ the Toon in Arbroath may be converted to an indoor market. Plans have been submitted to Angus Council.
The application, by Arbroath resident, Mr Brian Toner, is for proposed “change of use from existing vacant church to indoor market”, at United Free Church, 41 High Street.
The application has been submitted on Mr Toner’s behalf by the Voigt Partnership.
Up to 20 market stalls could be accommodated, and there would be a large display area at the end of the building opposite to the main entrance.
Other facilities include a kitchen and a small food and drink area with about a dozen seats; male and female toilets, and facilities for wheelchair users.
The plan shows parking space for seven vehicles, one disabled space, cycle parking and an offloading bay, all on the right of the existing extensive space between High Street and the church building.
The exterior of the building would be repaired and maintained in keeping with the character of the Fit o’ the Toon.
In the application, the Voigt Partnership notes: “The original church on this site was built around 1806 as St Mary’s Episcopal Church.
“The congregation moved to a new building, also called St Mary’s, at Ponderlaw in 1854.
“The original 1806 building was sold to the Free Church congregation breakaway from Maule Street Secession Church and later demolished.
“The present building was constructed on the same site. It was known as High Street Free Church until union with the United Presbyterian Church in around 1900.
“The congregation united again in 1924 with East Church and became St Ninian’s United Free Church.”
Mr Toner has suggested that the market would be an obvious place for local produce to be sold.
Both Forfar and Montrose have regular visits from the Angus Farmers’ Market, but no suitable site has ever been found in Arbroath.