Emergency services attended a blaze in Arbroath flats on Tuesday at exactly 12.37 in response to a call from a member of the public.
Fire and Rescue Services received the call to a fire in a block of flats in Dishlandtown Street, Arbroath, opposite the railway line.
Fire fighters entered the flat block to confirm there was no-one left in any of the four flats.
Three fire appliances attended the call with crews from Arbroath and Carnoustie.
The crews entered the first floor flat wearing breathing apparatus and fought the flames until the fire was extinguished.
Station manager Graeme Nicoll said: “There was extensive and substantial damage to the kitchen, hallway and living room, where the fire originated.
“The occupant had been having a cigarette which they thought was fully extinguished and had placed it in a bin next to the settee. It was not fully out and set fire to other combustible items in the bin.”
Police Scotland and ambulance crews both attended the scene however there were no casualties and residents were unharmed. The occupants had been removed before the fire crews arrived
A police spokesperson said: “Police Scotland attended a report of a fire at Dishlandtown Street in Arbroath at about 1.10 p.m. yesterday and can report that there were no apparent suspicious circumstances.”