AN ARBROATH church has recently re-opened for worship following an extensive refurbishment programme.
St Thomas of Canterbury Roman Catholic Church on Dishlandtown Street opened its doors on Sunday after weeks of work.
Arbroath firm Contact Electrical Services Ltd., replaced all of the archaic wiring and installed long-life metal halide lighting.
The interior has been completely repainted in line with plans designed by a committee including Father Kevin Golden and Bishop Vincent Logan.
The rear wall is a warm brick red, setting off the three stained glass windows by Meyer of London representing the three saints Thomas, Andrew and Patrick.
The walls have been redecorated in three different shades of pale yellow, and the roof a gentle sky blue.
The seating has been rearranged and revarnished, new blue carpeting has been laid, the marble altar steps have been exposed, and the bottom of the pillars have been clad in tiling to match the Italian marble of the altar.
Candlesticks and statues have been refurbished, and the whole church now has a fresh and calming appearance.
The church interior has been transformed with great taste, making it a joy to behold and a fitting place for worship.
An open day was held on Sunday to let the public see the refurbishment and coffee was available in the church hall afterwards.
The church organ is by Possil of York, and is the last surviving functioning model in existence.
St Thomas can trace its roots back to Father Alexander Gordon who arrived in Arbroath in 1840 with a mission to establish a Roman Catholic church.
Thanks to subscriptions raised from Irish workers constructing the Colville Bridge construction began in 1845.
St Thomas officially opened in October, 1847, and was dedicated by Bishop Gillis in February 1848.