Free fire safety visits available

CHILD Safety week, which runs from Monday (June 26) has the theme ‘Take a second look for safety’.

Fire is one of the biggest killers of children in Scotland.

A recent survey revealed three out of four Scots believed fire would not happen in their home.

Smoke from a fire can fill your home in moments and can kill your child in seconds. If a fire starts when you are asleep and you don’t have a working smoke alarm, smoke may render you unconscious and you might never wake up.

You are up to 10 times as likely to die in a fire if you don’t have a working smoke alarm.

Tayside Fire and Rescue provide free home fire safety visits and free smoke alarms as required, carried out by local firefighters.

You need a working smoke alarm on every floor of your home, upstairs and downstairs, to warn you quickly if a fire starts.

Taking just one minute every week to test your smoke alarms could one day save you and your family’s lives.

Plan how you and your family will escape a fire if one breaks out, then practise your escape together so you all know what to do.

Firefighters can help you to make your own fire action plan, tailored for your property and family. They will look at things such as keeping your stairs and hallway clear of clutter like bags, shoes, toys or bikes, so you don’t trip or knock them over, causing a barrier in your rush to get out of the house.

They will also provide fire survival advice, to keep you and your family safe until help arrives, should you be trapped by fire.

If you have a smoke alarm by your kitchen and it keeps going off when you are cooking, don’t remove the batteries. Move the alarm further away from the kitchen door.

Don’t be tempted to run your washing machine or dishwasher overnight – if there’s an electrical fault, it could catch fire while your family is asleep.

Keep matches and lighters out of sight and reach of young children.

Take a second look to make sure your cigarette is stubbed out properly. Avoid smoking if you feel sleepy and never smoke in bed.

Most house fires start in the kitchen, so take extra care when cooking. Chip pans and greasy grill pans are common causes of house fires.

It is a sad fact that in the United Kingdom approximately 500 people die in fires, occurring in the home, every year. Many of these could be prevented by taking the measures outlined above.

To arrange your free home fire safety visit call 0300 123 9998 or text ‘check’ to 61611, or on the web at, www.taysidefire.gov.uk