Former marine killed in Syria

editorial image

A former Royal Marine from Arbroath’s 45 Commando is believed to have died while fighting with Kurdish militants in Syria.

Konstandinos Erik Scurfield, 25, from Barnsley, Yorkshire was based at RM Condor until recently when it is suspected, he left the country to join the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG).

It is thought he was hit by mortar during a firefight with Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) militants.

Mr Scurfield is the first known Briton to have died in the YPG battle against Isil.

John Foxx, an American who fought alongside ex-marine in the YPG, paid tribute to Mr Scurfield on Facebook.

He said: “Words cannot describe how I feel right now...I have lost family members, close friends, buddies in the Corps but nothing has hurt as much as losing one of my Chappy brothers from the YPG.

“Hands down one of the greatest people I have ever met in my life..I cannot even begin to describe the character of this man because a facebook post can no way do it justice.

“Every day since the moment I was separated from my brothers I have be dreading the news I knew was going to come eventually and it finally caught up to me. He deserves so much more than a facebook post but this is all I can do for now so please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.

“You will be avenged my brother.”

The Foreign Office issued a statement stating the difficulty of confirming British fatalities in Syria. It said: “As we do not have any representation in Syria it is extremely difficult to get any confirmation of deaths or injuries and our options for supporting British nationals there are extremely limited.”

45 Commando Royal Marines, 3 Commando Brigade were unable to comment at this time.

A British Royal Marine was intercepted by US security forces in October 2014 on suspicion he was planning to travel to fight with Kurdish forces.

The Royal Marine was questioned following an exercise with 45 Commando in the Mojave desert where he prepared to fly from California to Turkey during his period of leave.

The man was stopped while trying to board a flight from Los Angeles to Istanbul on a one way ticket.