Mother’s appeal for missing former Arbroath man

editorial image

THE ARBROATH mother of a former town man who disappeared after a night out has urged him to let his family know he is safe.

Ross Ramsay (30), who grew up in Arbroath, left the Gala Casino on Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow city centre just after midnight on Friday, February 15, leaving his wallet and mobile phone behind.

The sound engineer was last seen on CCTV in Newton Street in the nearby Charing Cross area but did not return to his home in Maryhill, to the north of the city centre.

He had been due to start a new job at the National Theatre of Scotland in the city the following Monday, said police.

Yesterday (Thursday), his mother Sandra and younger brother Ryan made a public appeal.

Mrs Ramsay explained: “We are all extremely worried about him and desperate to find out if he is OK. To anyone who has information about Ross, we urge you to contact the police. Ross, your family and friends want you to come home. If you don’t feel that you’re ready to do so, please just let us know that you’re safe.”

His brother, Ryan, aged 19 added: “We will always be here to help and support you, Ross. We love you and miss you.”

Mr Ramsay, who has worked in television and theatre across Scotland, was taking daily medication to manage anxiety and depression but did not have it with him at the time of his disappearance, police say.

Strathclyde Police described his disappearance as out of character, and urged three people who may have seen him on Newton Street to come forward.

Officers said Mr Ramsay had been drinking alone in the Ben Nevis public house in Argyle Street on the night of his disappearance. He was recorded on CCTV near Lebowskis pub on the same street around 11 p.m..

The next sighting came at the casino. After he had handed his phone and wallet into the front desk, the duty manager contacted police. It is not thought he gambled at the casino during his visit.

Chief Inspector Ann Hughes, area commander at Maryhill, the officer leading the investigation, said: “The response from the public so far has been very good, although Ross is still missing. We know that when Ross left the casino he headed west towards Charing Cross.

“We have managed to obtain CCTV from Newton Street which shows three people who may have crossed paths with Ross, just after midnight on the February 15. We really need to speak to them.

“Ross wasn’t actually in the casino. He walked in and left his wallet and his mobile phone.”

Chief Insp Hughes added: “Understandably, Ross’s family and friends have been left distraught by his disappearance.

“He was due to start a new job at the National Theatre of Scotland in Civic Street on February 18 but did not turn up.

“We also know Ross had had some personal issues in his life prior to going missing.

“Ross requires daily medication which we know he does not have with him, and as each day passes we are increasingly concerned for his well-being.”

Last night, officers attended the places where Mr Ramsay was last seen, stopping and interviewing pedestrians and motorists near the Ben Nevis pub and the casino between 9.30 p.m. And 1 a.m., and handing out flyers with Mr Ramsay’s image on them.