Christmas is probably the most difficult time to stick to those health and fitness goals where alcohol and treats are constant temptations.
In the latest episode of our ‘Under The Spotlight’ series we have asked the coaches at Fit 4 Purpose in Arbroath for some tips on how to not only survive but thrive during Christmas and beyond.
1. Remind yourself to be active. Exercise releases mood boosting chemicals such as endorphins and serotonin, keeping your spirits high!
2. Keep healthy snacks to hand, snacking on fruit and nuts may help maintain those vital nutrients.
3. Plan to spend some of your holidays outside. Whilst it may not be the ideal weather for jogging, a snowball fight or sledging is a great workout!
4. Drink plenty of water. You need to stay hydrated to function and sometimes thirst is mistaken for hunger.
5. Enjoy your festive food and drink but portion size is key.
6. Get plenty of sleep. This is an ideal time to recharge.
7. Use your time wisely. Short, regular bursts of activity may be ideal where even 25 minutes of walking may burn around 100 calories.
8. Select your tipple carefully. Swapping a mulled wine for a dry white can save you over 170 calories per glass!
9. The New Year is around the corner and this is an ideal time to start planning ahead for lifestyle goals in 2015.