A fantastic player!

editorial image

ARBROATH FC have paid tribute to former player Charlie Adam who has died suddenly at the age of 50.

Mr Adam, pictured, joined the Lichties in October 1991 and he came with a wealth of experience listing St Johnstone, Partick Thistle, Brechin City, Dundee United and Forfar Athletic as former clubs.

In his first season at Gayfield he made 24 appearances in maroon scoring four goals. He then went on to make 74 appearances in the next two campaigns adding nine more goals to his tally.

In May 1994, he left the club and senior football to join Dundee St Joseph’s. In addition he also played for junior clubs Downfield and Lochee United.

He also helped nurture the careers of his sons, Charlie who is a Scotland internationalist and is currently playing for English Premier League side Stoke City, and Grant, a goalkeeper with St Mirren but who is currently on loan to Airdrie United.

Paying tribute Arbroath chairman John Christison said: “We were all devastated and very sorry to hear the passing of Charlie.

“He was a truly fantastic player for us in the early 90s.

“Our thoughts go out to his family at the tragic time and the club will be flying the flag at half mast on the day of his funeral. “

Arbroath Herald editor Brian Stormont, followed the fortunes of the Lichties during Mr Adam’s time at the club.

He said: “As a young reporter I recall there being great excitement when Arbroath signed Charlie Adam from Angus neighbours Forfar.

“Adam was 29 and in his prime when the Lichties signed him. He came with a bit of a hard man reputation, but he was going to be playing for us so that was never going to be an issue.

“To put it plainly watching Charlie when he was on his game was a joy. Anyone who was at Gayfield in February, 1992, saw him play what I would regard as one of the finest performances by an Arbroath player I have seen against Clyde.

“He almost single-handedly destroyed the Bully Wee that day, scoring one goal and laying on the other two. His performance was sublime.

“Charlie was an outstanding player during his time at Gayfield, and I often chatted with him. He would later admit to me when I met him at a junior game a few years back that his time spent at Arbroath was one of the most enjoyable of his long career.”

His death on Monday was confirmed by Tayside Police, who said they attended his home in Grampian Gardens, Dundee, at around 6.30 p.m.

Officers say there are no suspicious circumstances and as with all sudden deaths, a report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.